S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Parasitic drain problem - confusing results?

Old 03-02-2015, 04:29 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Can you unhook the positive terminal from the alt and see?
Old 03-02-2015, 04:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see an Alternator causing a draw but just to eliminate it, unplug it completely and run your draw test again. 50 milliamps will drain a battery over time. I don't know Honda's spec but Toyota (where I work) minimum allowed parasitic draw is 20mA or less. Wen I did a draw test on my s2k before installing a lithium battery I was only seeing 7-8mA after the car sat for 30 minutes and that number never deviated until I opened the drivers door.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:43 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Redline S2K
I don't see an Alternator causing a draw but just to eliminate it, unplug it completely and run your draw test again. 50 milliamps will drain a battery over time. I don't know Honda's spec but Toyota (where I work) minimum allowed parasitic draw is 20mA or less. Wen I did a draw test on my s2k before installing a lithium battery I was only seeing 7-8mA after the car sat for 30 minutes and that number never deviated until I opened the drivers door.
When I did a draw test on my car this summer I was getting about 7 mA if I recall.

No idea about the alternator though, I guess it could have an internal defect , if the draw goes down to about 7mA with it removed then you probably have your source.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:43 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Redline S2K
When I did a draw test on my car this summer I was getting about 7 mA if I recall.

No idea about the alternator though, I guess it could have an internal defect , if the draw goes down to about 7mA with it removed then you probably have your source.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

every Honda needs to be below 50ma. Ideal is less than 30ma. Be sure your testing this on the neg. Side of the battery.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by postman
every Honda needs to be below 50ma. Ideal is less than 30ma. Be sure your testing this on the neg. Side of the battery.
I did use the negative side.
When I took out the 15A alternator fuse my reading dropped to 0.00 so I guess < 10 mA? Would this be abnormally "low"? I think I'll take the alternator out this weekend and run it up to advance auto for an exchange... but I really don't want to unless it's the only culprit.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:18 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Are you getting good voltage values off the battery? Engine off and at idle. Car at 1500RPM's --- with and without load. My guess (and it's a WAG) is that one of the diodes in the rectifier maybe bad. Draining voltage to ground, when engine is off. Or short in regulator. Volt readings should reflect this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQysE2oJAuo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQysE2oJAuo
Old 03-04-2015, 03:36 PM

Pulled the alternator when I got home from work today, took it down to advance auto and it tested bad on their bench. So, for future reference, even if you only have a 50 mA draw through your alternator (like me) it will test 'bad' at least on their machine. I was worried, since I didn't know what the spec limit was on their machine - especially everything else with the alternator is fine.

Luckily mine was covered since I bought it 11 months ago so I get a free replacement
Old 03-04-2015, 03:49 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Good job. Your diagnosis procedure worked!

Old 03-19-2015, 07:55 AM

I forgot to clarify on what I found out after installing my new alternator. When I reinstalled it I checked the drain at that point and it surprised me that it was still 0.05... I was kinda mad. Then I realized that I have an Odb2 Bluetooth device that I always leave plugged in. When I unplugged it the drain went to zero! Which I kind of thought was crazy... Considering when I pulled the alternator fuse it went to zero before. Does the odb2 port wire through the alternator somehow? Anyways, I had no idea those devices have a moderate drain. I think my alternator went bad because it would drain too hard and it was a hard start for my alternator each time so it went bad prematurely - leading it to test bad at advance auto.

Quick Reply: Parasitic drain problem - confusing results?