S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

P1457 code and the gas tank

Old 11-08-2009, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1457 code and the gas tank

Not long ago I stopped at one my usual gas stations to fill up my car. The tank was at half full. The pump clicked off a little sooner than I had expected. Normally when the the pump clicks, the tank is as full as its gonna get. Not thinking too much about it, I got in and took off only to notice that the gauge was only showing 3/4 full. I drove around a little expecting the gauge to eventually read full but it didn't. Stopped at another usual gas station and put almost the same amount of gas in as I did earlier. Got in and drove off. Gauge read full. I only get the car out on the weekends so it tends to sit a lot. The following weekend, got in the car, got a mile or so down the road and got a cell. Took it to have the code read. P1457. Looked it up here to see what it was. Reset the computer. Car sat for another couple of weeks. Took it out got another cel. Same place I was last time I got the first cel. Same road, same place (within feet of where I got the cell the first time.) Same amount of gas. 1/2 tank. Had the code read again. P147 as expected. After I had the code read the second time I stopped to fill up and was hardly able to. The only way to keep the pump from clicking off was to pump the gas as slow as the pump would allow with the nozzle just far enough in to keep gas from spraying all over the place. This has never happened before. Another week later I took the car to fill it up, cel still on, and still unable to fill the tank. Not asking how to fix the P1457 code. I'm curious if it has anything to do with the problem I am now having filling up the tank. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Need to replace the gas filler tube with the updated one.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:42 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is there a new filler tube thats updated or just the gas cap?

Ive heard of the gas cap, but not the filler.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Avionics86,Nov 8 2009, 08:52 PM
Need to replace the gas filler tube with the updated one.
Thanks for the input. Much appreciated. As far as the gas filler tube goes, I'm aware that it has been a problem on some cars. Is it one that would wait six years and 60k miles before it makes itself known? Just seems strange that these two issues would arise at basically the same time without being related. But I don't know. That's why I'm asking.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:37 PM

I just read something about the filler tube problem earlier today since I just got a cell with the P1456 code today. Maybe if the threads or gasket on your gas cap a little worn out it would pop up the code, I was looking at the metal threads on the filler tube on my car a couple of hours ago and I noticed that the threads are not really smooth nor really even so maybe the gas cap is not sealing right/tight if the threads or gasket on the gas cap a little worn.

Maybe the gas station where you put some gas and it didnt fill all they way up had some bad gasoline that day, I know my dad's '97 Land Rover Discovery is really picky about that, it stops the pump (clicks off the pump) if the gas is not that "good". He also has preferred gas stations with "good" gasoline to avoid the problem.

Like I said I got a cell today with the P1456 and I also have a 1/2 tank right now, coincidence?
Old 11-11-2009, 02:48 PM

I'm pretty sure it isn't bad gas because I have yet to see any decrease in performance. And so far I haven't got the "gas cap" code, (P1456?)

I got the EVAP code right after I had my first problem filling the tank (the very next time I took the car out). That's why I can't help but wonder if the two problems are related.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:45 PM

????
Old 11-29-2009, 07:37 AM

It seems as though I have either stumped the s2ki community or I somehow don't meet the criteria for getting a question answered. Either way, it doesn't matter. To answer my original question, yes. The two problems were related and not coincidence. Big thanks to the local auto parts store for explaining the hows and whys.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:26 AM

Hi there, can you put in some light of what happened in your case?

I bought my S a few months ago and since then I have never been able to fill up except for a few drops at a time because the pump keeps clicking off.

Would appreciate your input.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:20 AM

I am having the EXACT same issue with my daily driver (not the S) , OP please tell us how you fixed it .

Quick Reply: P1457 code and the gas tank