S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

P0410 - replace air pump assembly OR use delete kit.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0410 - replace air pump assembly OR use delete kit.

The other day, I started up my 04 s2k and drove it around as I normally do. Once i parked it and turned off the engine, a mechanical whirr sound remained on. I tried to locate the sound and i found it whirring near the front of the car. The whirring stayed on for about 5 minutes until it sounded like it died (i was freaking out at this point). So i contacted my friend and found no issues with the car as no check engine light turned on. The sound never came back on and so i shrugged it off hoping that it was an outlier of a problem.

On the next morning, my CEL light turned on and I went over to my friend's house to diag the problem. A Code P0410 came on (P0410 Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction) which indicates that the air pump is having an issue. The only mods that I have recently put into the car is a FIPK intake system and the vacuum lines were installed on correctly. According to other members, if I installed the vacuum lines incorrectly, it would throw a P0411 code.

Anyways, using his OBD scanner, we then went on to check the voltage on the relay and the pump. The relay seems to be working just fine sending a voltage to the pump but the pump is shot. The pump is reading a -0.1 voltage reading on a cold start.

My question to you is, which would you rather do...
1) buy a new air pump and stick along the lines of OEM OR... ($850-900)
2) buy a air pump delete kit from izze racing and walk away from OEM as i have to cut/tap into oem electrical lines. ($80-100)

Does anyone know the pros/cons of doing this delete kit. The only two pros i see is 1) I dont have to replace oem parts in case of possible failures, and 2) weight savings and the only pro i see is that I could potentially hurt my cat in the long run.

This really sucks as my plans for (1) cat (2) exhaust (3) suspension (4) sways (5) wheels (6) OEM trunk lid spoiler has to be put on hold as I have to pay for the OEM parts.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:11 AM

i've had that kit on my car for a couple years now i think, no issues, wasn't hard to install at all, I'd go with the kit and forget the air pump totally.

its just going to end up dying again down the road eventually
Old 05-31-2013, 05:24 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

1) If you have to go this route, buy used. A lot of people dump the air pump so you can find them fairly cheap.
2) Kit works perfectly and isn't that hard to install. If you aren't comfortable with soldering, have someone do it for you - max 1 hour labor. I just left all the old parts installed so it looked OEM, no issue with inspection/emissions.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:37 AM

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like your air pump relay got stuck and consequently, your air pump overheated & failed (the stator is probably melted).

A sticking air pump relay is a common problem, in fact, there's a service bulletin for this:

Like Nate said, buy the air pump & relay used NOT new.
Go whichever way your most comfortable with. Removing the air pump does not effect the lifecycle of the cat, it will just take longer to warm up.

Caleb
Old 05-31-2013, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by skurge
i've had that kit on my car for a couple years now i think, no issues, wasn't hard to install at all, I'd go with the kit and forget the air pump totally.
Thanks for the reply. i'm glad to know that the izze racing air pump relay kit works.

Originally Posted by 1nate7
1) If you have to go this route, buy used. A lot of people dump the air pump so you can find them fairly cheap.
2) Kit works perfectly and isn't that hard to install. If you aren't comfortable with soldering, have someone do it for you - max 1 hour labor. I just left all the old parts installed so it looked OEM, no issue with inspection/emissions.
Thanks for the reply! I guess the kit isn't hard to install now that squeeze connectors are now included.

Originally Posted by Unbr3akable
Sounds like your air pump relay got stuck and consequently, your air pump overheated & failed (the stator is probably melted).

A sticking air pump relay is a common problem, in fact, there's a service bulletin for this:

Like Nate said, buy the air pump & relay used NOT new.
Go whichever way your most comfortable with. Removing the air pump does not effect the lifecycle of the cat, it will just take longer to warm up.

Caleb
THANK YOU SO MUCH for the bulletin. I guess I know that this was not caused by me or previous owners. I am assuming that that's exactly what happened... It threw up two of the codes mentioned. P0410 and P2245 both indicated that the air pump has failed.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:36 PM

anyone know where the air pump relay goes?!
Old 06-01-2013, 02:14 PM

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

It's located right next to the air pump, under the driver side headlight. You'll have to either remove the front bumper or partially remove the driver side fender liner. Removing the bumper will give you the best access.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by 1nate7
Where can I find the kit? Mine just went out and I just wanna get rid of it all together.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:17 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Google izze s2000 air pump delete and you'll find it