S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

p0301

Old 02-23-2008, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p0301

thanks in advance guys..u guys are the best.
i had a CEL today, so i went to autozone and use the scanner and i pulled a code of p0301 cylider 1 misfire.

the car idles fine and runs smooth except for the CEL thats annoying. the culprit for this could be loose injector connections, ignition coil or spark plug....i checked the injector connections and they are good..and i havnt done the ignition coil check or change out the spark plugs....

my question is what would be the signs and symptoms of a foul spark plug vs. ignition coil pack failure...and take note..the car runs fine and if there is a change i couldnt tell the difference except it has an annoying cel.

would the ignition coil failure cause a more noticable changes vs. foul spark plugs like idling weird, sluggish, bogging,etc. or would the foul spark plug will cause the car idle fine and runs smooth except for the CEL?

thanks for the help...
Old 02-23-2008, 06:47 PM

swap the coil over plug with the number 4 cylinder . clear the codes and see if the light comes back. if it does.. scan it.. and see if it moves to number 4.. if itdoes.. bad plug

if it doesnt change.. next swap spark plug with number 4, clear codes and check code again.. if it changes.. than its the spark plug

also your ride is under factory warranty . just take it in?
Old 02-23-2008, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by R3DS2K,Feb 23 2008, 07:47 PM
swap the coil over plug with the number 4 cylinder . clear the codes and see if the light comes back. if it does.. scan it.. and see if it moves to number 4.. if itdoes.. bad plug

if it doesnt change.. next swap spark plug with number 4, clear codes and check code again.. if it changes.. than its the spark plug

also your ride is under factory warranty . just take it in?
suppose to be still under warranty but i am sure i voided it cause i change a lot in the car already...engine and drivetrain and so as suspension....

thanks..i will do it tomorrow morning.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:16 PM

oh yea...about 2 weeks ago and 300 miles i change my plugs with the bosch single platinum , i went this route cause at the time this is the only plug available (bad move i think)...then after about a week it throwed a cel (P0420: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold and one of the possible culprit according to the autozone z net computer was a foul plug /misfire, bad fuel, bad catalytic---and i have a test pipe with 02 simulator and i had the TP for more than a year now and no cel and i am very surprise that it showed this code-so i just cleared it then go on and drive the car).

after a week of driving the car the p0301 cel came out and then it says its a cylinder misfire 1....

so im guessing its the bosch platinum that cause this problem because i ask people in honda tech about this and they said that bosch plugs cause problems in most hondas because its mainly for euro cars (i didnt know this till today) and for some reason even if u buy a bosch plug with correct part number for the s2k it still causes some issues like misfires, i dont know the reason for it.

i am hoping this is the case for my situation.

i am going to buy some ngk plugs now and change it now....once i change it, should i clear the codes and wait if it will go back or should i watch for it to clear by itself cause when i had a vacuum leak before the cel cleared by itself right after i change the leaking hose after i start the car.

thanks...
Old 02-23-2008, 10:05 PM

bosch plugs barely run good in cars that are suppose to have them and now you put it in a japanese car is a BIG no no..
Old 02-23-2008, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by R3DS2K,Feb 23 2008, 11:05 PM
bosch plugs barely run good in cars that are suppose to have them and now you put it in a japanese car is a BIG no no..
i know now...
Old 02-24-2008, 06:30 AM

NGK all the way!!!! have had bosch plugs fail in my drag car, burnt the ground terminal (little arch over the center post) right off. Had to pull them after 2 runs, I geuss a150 shot and 12.5 compression didn't agree with the Bosch plugs. I can get between 20 and 25 good clean runs on the NGK's
Old 02-24-2008, 06:42 AM

ive had the boch's in both my honda's and never got any check engine lights/trouble whatsoever. i dunno. i guess im lucky.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:04 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It would be really, really uncommon for a coil pack to fail that early.

99.9% it's going to be the plug. Maybe it wasn't gapped properly or it's a little fouled, etc.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:14 AM

i change the plugs already with proper trq specs, checked the connections of injectors, did d map whack (crossd finger), should i reset the ecu or wait for it to clear coz i hav a cel b4 due to vacuum leak and then after i fixd d leak the cel goes away by itself, i dont know if it wil be the same case for this one...thanks guys u r the best.

Quick Reply: p0301