S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

overrev damage?

Old 03-15-2003, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overrev damage?

Just a quick question about overrev on the f20c... if the engine is overreved, how soon would it be noticable that there is internal damage... Would you immediately have an engine light, or would you hear the pistons make contact with the valves? Is there any way to tell? Any information would be most helpful!
Old 03-15-2003, 10:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Kinda depends on how badly you over-revved and how badly you floated those valves. If you did it real good, then you'll hear all kinds of odd engine clatter right away and the car won't run very well if at all. If you just grazed a valve with your piston, it may have only caused a fracture and you may not know about it for a long time, if ever. In a mild case like that, you'd have to check the individual components out pretty closely to see if they were damaged. If it's running OK now and not making any weird noises, you might be alright, you might not. Can't say.
The CEL would only come on if the damage affected one of the monitored functions (sensor).
Old 03-16-2003, 07:06 AM

Thanks xviper. I actually called my girlfriends dad, who has been a Honda Tech for 15 years.... Ye said the same more or less... He said that since I didn't let the clutch out completely, and the rpms hit redline for about a second... I may be fine.. No noticable difference, but a strong desire to do the internal work on my engine now.... I am still a little scared, but I am going to replace the vavles, springs, and cams by the end of the year... Thats what I get for drifting a road I didn't know.... couldn't pay enough attention to what I was doing....
Old 03-16-2003, 08:49 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2003spa2000
[B]Thanks xviper. I actually called my girlfriends dad, who has been a Honda Tech for 15 years.... Ye said the same more or less... He said that since I didn't let the clutch out completely, and the rpms hit redline for about a second... I may be fine.. No noticable difference, but a strong desire to do the internal work on my engine now.... I am still a little scared, but
Old 03-16-2003, 08:59 AM

thanks again. I was planning on doing the mods anyway, but my engine is still to young to warrant the internals.... I was going to wait until the end of the year... It's only about a month and a half old, and it has about 5400 miles already... I will take your advice and go get it checked with the fiber optic camera... I can't help but obsess that I may have hurt my baby... It would definitely give me some peace of mind until I do the mods.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:07 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

xviper,

if he has damage, would it be possible that the damage got worse down the line and cause FURTHER damage?

Would replacing those valves and other parts possibly PREVENT FURTHER damage?
Old 10-10-2004, 04:55 PM

wow, flashback... the motor didn't have any damage, but did blow due to a poor toda camshaft installation... replacing anything that was damaged would fix the problem, with no reoccurances from that specific incident. If I have floated the valves and scared a piston, it could have possibly caused problems much later on maybe... now if you bend a valve, it will get worse until the valve drops... then boom... luckily for me this was not the case, and I pulled out before any overrev occured... thats what I get for drifting and letting the inertia effect my shifting... a good scare...
Old 10-10-2004, 07:19 PM

Well I over reved my s2000 and the car just died out on me. it wouldn't start
I'm towing my s2000 to honda to get it checked out to see what's wrong with the car. I hope it's just a small damage down to the engine.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by jyeung528,Oct 10 2004, 06:07 PM
xviper,

if he has damage, would it be possible that the damage got worse down the line and cause FURTHER damage?

Would replacing those valves and other parts possibly PREVENT FURTHER damage?
I think Veilside answered your question pretty well.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:02 PM

This may be a novice question - how do you over rev the engine and do damage if it has a rev limiter?

I just got back from a drive where I inadvertantly hit the rev limiter and it got me to wondering. And I don't want to bend any valves or whatnot.

thanks.

Quick Reply: overrev damage?