S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Overly Loud Valvetrain?

Old 01-16-2021, 10:48 AM

Received 479 Likes on 391 Posts

Engine parts and sand just freak me out, that's the only reason I wouldn't go down that route. How many engine bugaboos have been caused by sand blasted valve covers, granted that's an extreme example.

OP if that's what your engine sounds like and then it doesn't rattle on the ballade tct I'd say you're fine. If it sounds like a supercharger whine coming from the valve cover, stop driving immediately, otherwise enjoy. These engines are loud AF they kinda sound like crap, very loud injectors, loud chain, loud valvetrain, even a perfect example has wonky idle. Any non oem part is going to increase NVH, that goes for engine mounts, suspension, etc.

Post a warm car clip, any real issue will be made apparent when the car is at operating temperature. A nice drive in stop and go traffic then pull over with the car on and take a clip. If the car is idling rock solid(listen very carefully for any pops or stutters), then you have a healthy engine.

Do you notice any oil pooling up at the back of the valve cover mating surface near the firewall? If so your VTEC solenoid top gasket is leaking. IDK why but TCT issues and VTEC gasket issues seem to go together.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Engine parts and sand just freak me out, that's the only reason I wouldn't go down that route. How many engine bugaboos have been caused by sand blasted valve covers, granted that's an extreme example.

OP if that's what your engine sounds like and then it doesn't rattle on the ballade tct I'd say you're fine. If it sounds like a supercharger whine coming from the valve cover, stop driving immediately, otherwise enjoy. These engines are loud AF they kinda sound like crap, very loud injectors, loud chain, loud valvetrain, even a perfect example has wonky idle. Any non oem part is going to increase NVH, that goes for engine mounts, suspension, etc.

Post a warm car clip, any real issue will be made apparent when the car is at operating temperature. A nice drive in stop and go traffic then pull over with the car on and take a clip. If the car is idling rock solid(listen very carefully for any pops or stutters), then you have a healthy engine.

Do you notice any oil pooling up at the back of the valve cover mating surface near the firewall? If so your VTEC solenoid top gasket is leaking. IDK why but TCT issues and VTEC gasket issues seem to go together.
I won't go down the sandblasting route anyway, not into the idea.

Yeah I take your point, it doesn't sound disastrous, just not right to my ears. Certainly no supercharger like whine though. A proper drive will reveal more.

Vtec solenoid a little leaky, I have replacement gaskets ready to fit. Idler and tensioner pulleys to be done too. Only the idler is noticeably bad, but I thought I might as well do both while in there.

I'll hopefully have the car out for a drive next week, I'll post another clip and I'd be very grateful if you could have a listen!
Old 01-16-2021, 12:34 PM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

The second you take any type of hand sanding to the worm gear it is junk.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
The second you take any type of hand sanding to the worm gear it is junk.
Noted! I certainly won't be doing that! The oem tct went in very smoothly (it was completely wound back), but I was surprised at the similar sound. As per your advice, I also listened to the engine running with the bonnet shut a few feet back, still pretty noisy.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:18 AM

I've mentioned before that all my valves were tight and that I adjusted them all on the loose end of the recommend tolerance range, I actually adjusted the inlet valves to (from memory) 0.257mm, which is minutely outside the 0.25 limit but possibly a contributor in the loud valvetrain. Reason was that the next smallest sized blade on the feeler gauge was 0.20.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:52 AM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

.257 is .010”, at .010 the engine should be whisper quiet.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
.257 is .010”, at .010 the engine should be whisper quiet.
Whisper quiet mine ain't as we know... I think I told you the tensioner bearing was a little noisy, not hugely, but I'll replace anyway.