S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Overly Loud Valvetrain?

Old 01-16-2021, 07:11 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Doesn't work.
yes it does. I been running a sand blasted oem tct in my s2k for the past 20k miles and counting. Plus my buddy’s running one too. No issues. Only thing we used a glass bead blaster so that way no material is taking off the tct piston.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
Why don’t u just remove the Valve cover and then re-install the ballade or oem tct. Just look down on the chain and see if the tct is pushing on the chain or not when it sits flush in the block. Make sure the TCT is retracted all the way and it should not be pushing on the chain at all during installation. The only time the tct should be touching the chain is when you retract the bolt.
Yes I think that's good advice, my next step for sure. I reinstalled the oem tensioner today, no difference in terms of sound. I'll take the valve cover off and look at the tensioner piston in relation to the chain guide. While I'm in there I'm going to check all valve gaps again for peace of mind.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:11 AM

In fact the engine sounds worse with the oem tct reinstalled.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:23 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,232 Likes on 1,076 Posts

What was the valve clearance before adjustment? If the valves were tighter than spec before it's normal for them so sound clicky when properly adjusted.

I don't trust the Ballade TCT but have no personal experience with it -- 'cuz I don't trust it.

-- Chuck
Old 01-16-2021, 08:26 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

The Ballade tct only works well if the chain is stretched out. Billman told us using it on a good chain will cause immediate chain damage.

So perhaps running the Ballade on your chain has damaged it to the point that now the Ballade is quieter than the stock one.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
What was the valve clearance before adjustment? If the valves were tighter than spec before it's normal for them so sound clicky when properly adjusted.

I don't trust the Ballade TCT but have no personal experience with it -- 'cuz I don't trust it.

-- Chuck
Every last one was overly tight, so what you're saying would make sense.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
The Ballade tct only works well if the chain is stretched out. Billman told us using it on a good chain will cause immediate chain damage.

So perhaps running the Ballade on your chain has damaged it to the point that now the Ballade is quieter than the stock one.
The car has 130k miles showing, so it's reasonable to expect a bit of chain stretch. I was getting some hot engine tct ticking prior to the work I've undertaken. The Ballade tct has only been in the engine a day, and in that time the car hasn't been driven, only idling for a couple of minutes at a time, so I wouldn't have thought the Ballade tct has done any damage.
​​​​​​
Old 01-16-2021, 08:52 AM

Latest sound clip
sounds pretty crap to me.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:40 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I’m not sure if that video is cold start or hot. But cold start will be always be louder and might give false impressions. Go for a normal drive and then take another video. Below is a video of my s2k idling hot after I did a valve adjustment. Also mine had the oem sand blasted TCT.

Old 01-16-2021, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
I’m not sure if that video is cold start or hot. But cold start will be always be louder and might give false impressions. Go for a normal drive and then take another video. Below is a video of my s2k idling hot after I did a valve adjustment. Also mine had the oem sand blasted TCT.

https://youtu.be/rxWS0I_m17Y
Thanks for the video, doesn't sound totally dissimilar to mine, a little smoother but as you pointed out, heat will help. My engine was stone cold in that video. Still think it sounds rough, so at some point in the week I'll get the valve cover off again and see what's what.

Quick Reply: Overly Loud Valvetrain?