S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Overly Loud Valvetrain?

Old 01-15-2021, 07:52 AM

Received 479 Likes on 391 Posts

Billman sir, when you install an OEM TCT with brand new O-rings it will "snap" into place and will sit flush against the engine, but the rounded seals will push the unit out about half a mm. I believe that is the amount noticed by OP. I recently installed new O-rings and noticed this. The TCT sat flush in the engine but it was pushed out about half a mm because of the round pliant O-rings. I could squeeze it flush with ease. I know for a fact it is not enough to overtension the chain because I had the pin in place and pulled it through the service port and could verify tensioner tension on the guide.

You notice the same thing when one replaces the VTEC solenoid top gasket with a Kraken one. Torqueing the bolts to spec will flatten the gasket and create the seal similar to the oil filter.

Also if you have the O-rings backwards, you will not be able to pop the unit into place.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:31 AM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

I can’t follow you man. I have never experienced an oring holding a tensioner back. Even so, there is a huge difference between an oring, and a fully compressed tensioner pushing a chain guide pinned against the chain. Of course an oring cannot over tighten a chain that goes without saying.

Next time you and ballade can clean up his mess, and advise people how to jam a tct in an engine it does not fit.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next time you and ballade can clean up his mess.[/QUOTE]

Errr..little harsh, no? I appreciate every drop of your advice, but we're not even sure I've made a 'mess' of anything..!
Old 01-15-2021, 08:37 AM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

You didn’t make a mess, not directed at you ^. Ballade did. This is a regular occurrence, you shouldn’t have to go through this.

Slowcrash help me out here, If I can’t follow your post. I understand your logic about the orings, but that equates to a trace gap. Not a few MM. Easily overcome by the pressure of one finger.

The orings are not in this equation, as they were removed to verify the fit.

There is also no way an oring can be installed backwards.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
You didn’t. Ballade did. This is a regular occurrence.
Ah, ok
Old 01-15-2021, 08:55 AM

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Install the properly retracted OEM TCT. Order Billman's TCT and return the OEM core to him for worry free operation.

Use the Ballade TCT as a pretty paperweight.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:37 AM

Received 479 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
You didn’t make a mess, not directed at you ^. Ballade did. This is a regular occurrence, you shouldn’t have to go through this.

Slowcrash help me out here, If I can’t follow your post. I understand your logic about the orings, but that equates to a trace gap. Not a few MM. Easily overcome by the pressure of one finger.

The orings are not in this equation, as they were removed to verify the fit.

There is also no way an oring can be installed backwards.
I said about half a mm aka trace gap, which is what I think OP was referring to. You and I are both in agreement that new o rings will create a trace gap that can easily be overcome by finger pressure. I think this is what OP has noticed.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:06 AM

I wish I could reply properly to everyone that's submitted replies but I'm under pressure to put this car back together...

I have a concern that the Ballade tct fitted relatively easily the second time because it may have been wound back more by me that it was set from the factory... I've no way of knowing whether this chain is under undue tension.

It's not so easy to send OEM tensioners to America and await its return for me, I'd be looking at a lengthy turnaround.

Re retracting the oem tensioner with the threaded bolt and wingnut supplied with the Ballade item, I've yet to try it but I'm wary of doing that incase I damage the tensioner. As I'm sure you know the oem tensioner has the pullout pin to release the tensioner, are we sure it can be withdrawn as per the ballade item?
Old 01-15-2021, 10:07 AM

Received 1,230 Likes on 1,074 Posts

You can withdraw/replace the OEM TCT plunger exactly the same as the ballade. See message #20. You're new here. You can trust Billman.

OP lists his location as Ireland. Not many choices there.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 01-15-2021 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
OP lists his location as Ireland. Not many choices there.

-- Chuck
You got that right chuck

Quick Reply: Overly Loud Valvetrain?