S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

overheating, what to do?

Old 10-03-2006, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

update: Well I replaced the thermostat and it was over heating still...I then had a friend come over and he said to take some coolent out of the overflow to bring it down to the min. level and it has not overheated....WEIRD!
Old 10-03-2006, 09:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sup,
If you have changed all of these things and your doing what xviper is saying i would look into checking your headgasket. Look see if there is oil leaking anywhere? If you have changed all of these things and that has previously overheated alot as you say i would lead towards the gasket. The first time it overheated how hot did it get? and how long did you drive it for? You must have Warped that head or block ALOT if thats the case Good Luck fixing it Let us know what you have found out Peace.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has your thermostat been replaced? You may find its stuck closed if the car overheats soon after startup.

One really easy way to check head gaskets is to ghetto rig up the following.

Find the plastic expansion tank which has a short length of hose to it from the radiator cap. Fit a temporary hose from the radiator cap that you can run outside the bonnet and into the passenger seat area. Clear plastic hose is OK but proper automotive black hose is better. Put the end of this hose into a clear plastic bottle ( large coke bottle) that has been filled 1/4 with clear water.

Take the car for a drive with someone holding onto the bottle. You should not see a contant stream of air bubbles coming out of the hose. If there are bubbles you have a head gasket leak. With minor head gasket leaks you will have to load up the engine against the brakes to get enough cylinder pressure to leak.

You have a long length of hose, so may find that it takes a while for the air originally in the hose to be purged into the bottle. Each time you rev the engine it should suck coolant back into the hose, and when the revs drop some coolant should be pushed back into the bottle. This is normal and will purge air from the lines. If the head gasket is stuffed you will know.

Before you do this make sure you have the cooling system full. Idle the motor, and fill at the radiator cap till full. Release the bleed nipple on the head till it flows no bubbles, then top up the radiator before switching over to the ghetto setup.

Good luck

Chris. ( psychic engine diagnositics)
Old 10-03-2006, 11:51 PM

another quick way to check gasket is to see if there is oil floating on top of coolant in your radiator, this is only for major leak tho.
does the engine run any different?
Old 10-04-2006, 04:30 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by staticx1134,Oct 3 2006, 11:10 PM
update: Well I replaced the thermostat and it was over heating still...I then had a friend come over and he said to take some coolent out of the overflow to bring it down to the min. level and it has not overheated....WEIRD!
This should have made absolutely no difference whatsoever. Like you said - WEIRD!
Old 10-04-2006, 04:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I hate to say it, but it does seem like a headgasket issue. Prepare yourself, this will mean big bucks for this job.

BTW, how much of a bitch was it to replace the thermostat? That must have been a pain in the ass.

Warren
Old 10-04-2006, 05:40 AM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'stat doesn't look that hard if you take the alternator off first. Then you can get at it from the front. Keep a close eye on your water level in the radiator. If it's low enough, nothing gets pushed out to the coolant recovery tank so, everything looks ok but, you're low on fluid.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:52 AM

well the thermostat was really easy only took about 30-45 min. i did it from under the car with a couple of swivle ratchets.
I also drained my oil and no water/anit freeze was in it.Like I said the car isnt over heating anymore so ill see what happens.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:52 PM

BLOWN HEADGASKET FTW!!!!!
Old 10-09-2006, 06:39 PM

Sounds like your head gasket is leaking to me.

Quick Reply: overheating, what to do?