S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

OVERHEATING AND OUT OF IDEAS!?!?!? update pg2!

Old 12-15-2008, 03:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please Please Please help yourself and change the thermostat with a new honda part number unit.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im thinking that is next on the list. the only thing that doesnt make since with that is how air in being introduced.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subaru's had head gasket problems, they would do the same thing, you would get bubbling in your radiator overflow, and you could hear the water boiling, but when you pressure tested it, it would pass.

The air must have to do with the boiling. water turns to steam , steam leaks out. air replaces steam?
Feel free to poke holes in my theory.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:06 PM

something else to throw around thank you

anyone else?
Old 12-15-2008, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also from combustion if it is an internal leak, air from combustion chamber can enter the coolant, with a bad gasket.
Testing for hydrocarbons in coolant is one way to tell if you have a bad gasket.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by chris_barry,Nov 30 2008, 07:44 PM
Check the headgasket with this technique.

Fit a really long hose in place of the line that goes between the radiator cap and the overflow tank. Run this around the outside of the vehicle and into the passenger window.

Bleed the cooling system and fully top up the radiator before replacing the cap.

Put the hose into a large coke ( or beverage of choice) bottle half filled with water. Make sure the water covers the hose.

Get a passenger to hang onto the bottle and go for a drive. It will take a while to purge air out of the line ( You can prime it with water first if you want).

Test the head gasket by driving at full throttle against the brakes in 3rd or 4th gear. If there is any leak it will show up as a stream of bubbles from the hose.

This test sounds pretty ghetto, but will show up a early signs of head gasket failure that are too small for pressure leak testers and most other
methods.

The water bottle wont get hot, but take care initially as if the head gasket is really stuffed you could end up with a wet assistant.
Have you tried this test?
Old 12-16-2008, 11:18 AM

Sometimes parts store thermostats will be defective. I had to replace 3 or 4 on a 280zx i had before getting one that was correct. Head gasket leaks can be a PITA to track down exactly where it is sometimes, if that is the case. If you do find the headgasket is the problem make sure you have the head checked for warpage. It would be a good opportunity to have a valvejob and any headwork done to accomodate future mods. GL with the troubleshooting. Keep us posted.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:03 PM

i am in the same boat,

change the thermastat, but when the fan is off" take of fan switch", the thermastat open. but when i pug it back in, the bottom hoes stays cold and the heat oges up and the thermastat does not open..???????
Old 12-16-2008, 03:00 PM

well they are still testing and they are almost positive that the problem is something to do with the head. in the morning they will be trying to make it hot almost over heated that way they can test for the hyrdro carbons with a lithium test. if this fails meaning they are present they will be starting the tear down. when they do a new head gasket they include a valve job with it so that will be done. hopefully they will get it tomorrow. i want my car back!
Old 12-16-2008, 08:32 PM

DON'T PAY ANYONE $1100 TO CHANGE A HG!!!

400-500 max.

Quick Reply: OVERHEATING AND OUT OF IDEAS!?!?!? update pg2!