S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Overheating issues

Old 12-29-2007, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMFG

I never said it was going to blow out everywhere like some kind of crazy explosion, I simply stated "coolant will flow out of the radiator". It's not rocket science. I posted a link to a post by Billman, whom is a reputable mechanic.

I will quote Billman:

"Don't even bother with the manual, unless you want a ground full of coolant and an overheating s2k

1 Fill system with both bleeders open. Replace rad cap and close bleeders. You are now done with the rubber bleeder.

2 Start car with heat on high/hot, run till 3 bars, plus 1 minute.

3 Turn car off, open front bleeder screw. Air will hiss out, close when you see coolant.

4 top off rad, once it's safe to open cap. Use caution.

-repeat steps 2-4 till heat is hot, and rad stops taking coolant.

usually 3 cycles...."

If you want to dump coolant all over, go ahead. I simply stated that coolant will spill out of the radiator if the cap is off during engine warm up, and you got your panties in an uproar.

Do you even own an S2000?

I suppose Billman is wrong?

Old 12-29-2007, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by crazyasnboy,Dec 29 2007, 02:38 PM
I have no clue
get one.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by RACER,Dec 29 2007, 11:26 AM
Running the engine with the rad cap off till the fan comes on will result in coolant ALL over the place.
I'm sorry but to me that seemed a bit excessive. I know that it would get kinda messy but not as messy as you made it seem. I wasn't getting upset over anything. Yes I own an S2000 but I don't know what that has to do with anything. There's nothing wrong with the method I described as other master techs do the same thing. It would seem easier than going through 2-3 cycles with the bleeder valve and opening the radiator cap while it's hot. I was only simply stating the easiest way to bleed the cooling system and I wasn't trying to start shit. I'm sorry if I came off as aggressive or something. I'm not discrediting Billman's method, I'm just saying that I would rather get it taken care of in one step instead of 2-3 cycles.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:11 PM

Actually your the one whom made it seem messy, I quote, "it's going to fly all around and splash all over the fenders like some kind of crazy ass explosion". I just simply stated that coolant will flow out of the radiator. Another quote, "I know that it would get kinda messy but not as messy as you made it seem". Think about it, theres not much in between coolant flowing freely from the radiator, and, "it would get kind of messy".

The radiator is bolted directly to the body, which is painted, which happens to be connected to both front fenders and the front bumper. Any coolant flowing freely out of the radiator WILL wind up on painted surfaces, and could result in paint damage as well as staining of various parts.

If you'd rather do it this way, even though it isn't any easier than performing the job the correct way, more power to ya

I like doing things properly. I choose NOT to let coolant flow freely from the radiator, thus letting it flow onto painted surfaces. I believe in doing things the right way, NOT half ass.

If you want to do a job half ass, go for it, but don't contradict someone whom post's a proper procedure.

Doing it Billmans way may take a little bit more time, but it isn't any harder. You see, this is the difference between doing a job properly, and doing it half ass.

By the way, doing the job the way Billman described doesn't result in a blown up engine the way you claim. You make it sound as if you have to let coolant spew out of the radiator to prevent the engine fom blowing up.

Basically, from what I gather, you've made a feable attempt at justifying doing a simple job half ass.

No hard feelings