S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Overheating issue

Old 01-27-2014, 06:41 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Our cars are VERY prone to having air in the coolant system unless they are bled correctly. All of your problems sound like air in the coolant system.

Follow Billman's coolant bleed procedure exactly as he wrote it before you try anything else..........If you don't have very hot air coming out of the heater vents once its warmed up, it's not bled correctly.

There's dozens of posts on here from folks who fried their engines because the air wasn't bled out of their coolant system correctly....
Old 01-28-2014, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jetboater
Our cars are VERY prone to having air in the coolant system unless they are bled correctly. All of your problems sound like air in the coolant system.

Follow Billman's coolant bleed procedure exactly as he wrote it before you try anything else..........If you don't have very hot air coming out of the heater vents once its warmed up, it's not bled correctly.

There's dozens of posts on here from folks who fried their engines because the air wasn't bled out of their coolant system correctly....
Looks like I'm going back out there to do this on the driveway. Where would the front bleeder be? Cause we were using the rear one by the firewall and I'm assuming that's the beginning of my issues. Using the wrong bleeder. I'm going to take a gander but I don't want to start opening random lines.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:53 PM

Nvm I googled it. Gonna go grab a wrench and my long johns and get to it
Old 01-28-2014, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Daxenth
Nvm I googled it. Gonna go grab a wrench and my long johns and get to it

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/106...#entry22931493

this is the thread i was referring to. good luck with your air bleed.

i guess what i was saying earlier is that yes, these cars do have a lot of instances of overheating due to air, but there is also a lot of diy'ers out there in this community that may not really "get" the mechanics behind venting/burping. the system is really no different than any other car as far as i know.....unless it has some sort of mysterious channeling through the block. i've drained mine once since ownership, the same way i've drained and refilled all of my cars, and it worked out fine. only exception is the rover, which does things a little differently, but pretty much all the same idea.
i'm in the field of mechanical piping/plumbing and deal with high vents and burping systems all the time, so i just treat the two the same.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:25 PM

I wasn't taking any offense man. That's the reason I posted here cause you guys are the experts in my eyes. And this is my dream car. Its a shame and pity I can't take care of it the way it needs to be. I'm guessing there's a coolant leak somewhere as well. Either that or the dealer just sucks at doing shit and didn't tighten something down or do it right. Cause I had them flush/ drain/ refill it the day after I got it cause of a bad over heat. It ran fine through the summer but I didn't know I didn't have heat cause it was summer. But engine ran cool through the sweltering august/ July heat. So I assumed it was done right
Old 01-28-2014, 01:32 PM

Also that tube is in place (its about 6in in length) and after we burped/ filled my radiator we put some in there. I checked it at work today and noticed it was low. Wasn't empty but low. After reading that id assume that there's air in the lines now. But whoever did it torqued the hell out of the bleeder bolt. And I can't get it loose.. I can't win. Lol but I got a guy that's gonna help me soon
Old 01-28-2014, 02:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

jkelly posted the link to Billmans coolant bleed procedure in post #13 above.

If the front coolant bleed screw is too tight, then pick up another one at the dealer for a couple of bucks and then use vice grips to unscrew the old one. Put some penetrating oil on it to try to loosen it up.

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2014, 02:49 PM

Received 1,338 Likes on 810 Posts

A 12mm socket, extension, and proper ratchet will get it loose no matter how tight it is.

Read my bleed post very carefully. If you open the bleeder to much, it will push out air AND coolant and you will never get anywhere.

Just enough for a slight hiss. It will his for 10 to sometimes 15 seconds. Serious air will come out if you slow down, read careful, be thorough.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Daxenth
I wasn't taking any offense man. That's the reason I posted here cause you guys are the experts in my eyes. And this is my dream car. Its a shame and pity I can't take care of it the way it needs to be. I'm guessing there's a coolant leak somewhere as well. Either that or the dealer just sucks at doing shit and didn't tighten something down or do it right. Cause I had them flush/ drain/ refill it the day after I got it cause of a bad over heat. It ran fine through the summer but I didn't know I didn't have heat cause it was summer. But engine ran cool through the sweltering august/ July heat. So I assumed it was done right

i definitely wasn't trying to offend, hope my post didn't seem that way. billman's chimed in and he knows more about these cars than i do by leaps and bounds, so best to listen to him. good luck with it.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:53 PM

No no. Its all good and I greatly appreciate the help. I'm going to tackle this again soon cause I did read up on bill Mans thread but I did open it enough for coolant to flow through. I did it wrong Lol but going to do this again cause it got warm but not hot. And it gets really warm at highway speeds. So I'm leaning away from heater core and that valve thing is functional cause I checked the hoses and they got hot after I "bled it" the first time. But its either air or a leak somewhere. Really hoping its just air