S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Overheating?

Old 09-04-2006, 12:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dhayner,Sep 4 2006, 01:32 PM
Okay, so you don't have to bleed the system just to check it. Nonetheless, if I had an overheating problem, the first thing I would do is check the coolant level in the radiator (after it's cool), just to be sure it is full.
If you are down on coolant in the rad and you have coolant at the correct level in the tank, then you have to ask why this is?
Old 09-04-2006, 02:28 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I could see it happening of you had a big leak. If the radiator has enough air in it, I imagine creating a vacuum to suck the fluid out of the recovery bottle might be difficult. I think it would have to be a big leak and you'd have to be down alot of fluid though. Otherwise, as X points out, it'll suck the recovery tank dry.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:00 PM
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts

The overflow bottle was at the MAX line when I looked at it. The next day I looked at it and it was empty.

I'm not quite sure how to check the radiator level, I pulled the cap off but I'm not sure how you tell if it is low or not. All I saw were some aluminum looking fins coated with liquid.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts

Old 09-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Ek9
Banned

You WILL fry this motor if you keep driving it. I'd have parked it the first time it happened. Driving with a blown head gasket is abuse. I'd be careful, you might be blowing your chance at a warranty repair.

Your overfull coolant recovery tank tells me blown head gasket's a slam dunk. If you can't see fluid when you pull the cap off, you're low. It's simple as that.

Maybe I should shut my mouth. I wouldn't mind picking up a rolling chassis cheap right about now.

Exclusions From Coverage

This Limited Warranty does not cover or apply to:

1. Damage or breakdown caused by collision, fire, theft, vandalism, riot, explosion, or natural disaster.

2. Damage or breakdown due to vehicle/component abuse, misuse, or alteration.

3. Breakdown of aftermarket accessories or non-original equipment, components and systems not installed by the manufacturer (examples include: anti-theft systems, radio/speaker equipment, telephones, cruise control and sunroof).

4. Reduced operation/performance due to normal wear and tear of Covered Parts, including, but not limited to, valve grind(s) and/or piston ring replacement(s) designed to improve engine compression or reduce oil consumption.

5. Preventative maintenance services or parts replacement as suggested by the manufacturer in its maintenance schedule.

CarMax will not repair or replace any part or item, whether or not it is a Covered Part, unless it is required in conjunction with the repair or replacement of a Covered Part being serviced under this Limited Warranty. In the event a manufacturer's warranty or an extended service plan applies to a Covered Part, coverage under the warranty or plan shall be exhausted prior to being covered by this Limited Warrant
I'd contact Carmax and suggest they tow it in because of the overheating. Act dumb, tell them the symptoms and pretend the oil was never low. 1 and 5 might apply in your case. Clearly it was defective when you bought it but, you want to play it right so, there's no kind of questions asked.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by st4rk,Sep 4 2006, 05:00 PM
I'm not quite sure how to check the radiator level, I pulled the cap off but I'm not sure how you tell if it is low or not. All I saw were some aluminum looking fins coated with liquid.
The proper level in the rad is right to the top, touching the underside of the rad cap. In a system where there is an overflow, with the pickup tube at the bottom of the overflow tank, that's where the rad level should be. If you saw the tops of the cooling fins, you've got some major issues.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Ek9
Banned

Pretty sure he just blew coolant out the recovery tank.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Off topic (sorry): How often should you change your coolant? ('03)
Old 09-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Ek9
Banned

It's a long life fluid. I do it every 2 years though.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by iDomN8U,Sep 4 2006, 08:34 PM
Off topic (sorry): How often should you change your coolant? ('03)
Check your owner's manual. Your '03 uses the Type II coolant, which Honda says is good for 10 years. I would be very reluctant to leave it that long.

Quick Reply: Overheating?