S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

over-revved? any damage?

Old 08-15-2005, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My engine still seems to be running great, but you have a different engine than mine, and the revlimits are different
Old 08-15-2005, 08:44 AM

Xviper had this to say about OverRevving & skipping gears in another thread:

Some things that should come out of this:

1. Skipping gears can be a hard lesson learned and people still seem to not learn from others' mistakes.

2. You will NOT hear or feel the rev limiter "kick in" on a mechanical over-rev. Odd that people still have a misconception about this.

3. You won't know if any damage has been done (most likely to the valve train and/or pistons) until symptoms arise and you may not see any symptoms for quite some time as these things don't always manifest themselves right away.

My engine seems fine, but I'll probably have it checked out at the next service interval. 45K is only 2K away.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:21 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

I did the same thing when I had 110 miles on my '05, I went to 2nd gear around 65mph, however I did feel the rev limiter popping on me, so I subsequently decided that I didn't really overrev, rather I just bounced on and off the rev limiter.

It sounds like you're engine is fine, dont' worry about it. I stressed for a few days until I got further clarification and realized it was a non-issue. If your car idles fine and pulls smoothly to redline, just drive and enjoy.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:37 AM

So in all honesty your clutch delay valve probably saved your engine. It is afterall one of the reasons it's in there. In this case the slow engagement most likely caused your clutch to slip like mad before being fully engaged and killing the engine. This allowed you to realize what was going on and re-engage the clutch before any serious damage occurred.

It is still possible that you cracked some retainers and you may want to get them inspected, since a cracked one may cause a valve to drop later. That said it still boggles my mind that people are so eager to remove the clutch delay value. It is a significant part of overrev protection. You may destroy your clutch but you are unlikely to destroy your engine. Removing it will remove that protection and provide little to no gain for the majority of people.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:00 AM
VR4

funny me being used to my VR4. i see 70 in second and think to myself...so? thats only 6500ish. LOL

then i remember the crazy short gearing these have.

i would be scared for the valve retainers. personally....id pull the VC, take a look and if all is ok check it every 500-1000 miles or so. to be save replacing the retainers and valve locks are the way to go.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:04 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Aug 15 2005, 10:21 AM
I went to 2nd gear around 65mph, however I did feel the rev limiter popping on me, so I subsequently decided that I didn't really overrev, rather I just bounced on and off the rev limiter.
You still don't quite understand what the rev limiter can and cannot do and how this is different from the car's speed and inertia "driving" the engine far beyond the rev limiter.
Let's say you are going 90 mph in 3rd at redline (AP1). You go to shift into 4th, but get 2nd instead. 2nd is good for 65 mph at redline. Your car's weight and speed can physically propel 2nd gear to 90 mph. This would FAR exceed 9000 rpm and the rev limiter will do nothing nor will it sound any different. A rough guestimate would put that up to around 12,000 rpm.
The rev limiter ONLY works and you can ONLY feel it IF you are using the engine to ACCELERATE the car. Doing a mis-shift DOWN to a lower gear causes the engine to be DRIVEN by the car, not the other way around. Passing through the rev limiter rpm when the engine is driven produces not discernable difference as the fuel is already cut off.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:14 PM
AMG

Hey, go on a road trip! Nothing like 4K RPM for a couple 6-8 hour days that'll tell you how your motor is doing. Well, at least that was my rational for going on a vacation last week....

Note: I've never over-rev'd myself, but, who knows what the previous owner did on my 2nd owner S2K...I'm guessing he/she/it didn't though...runs purrrfect!
Old 08-17-2005, 04:40 AM

ok, I will try to pull the Valve-cover this week and take a look. I am very mechanically savvy but I've never worked on an s2k. Is the motor so far back in the engine bay that I will need any special tools to get the cover off.

I can take it to the dealer I just don't want to "admit" to them that I've over-revved the motor. You never know, they may put that in their "data system" and void any warranty on my engine tranny. I really don't know if Honda does any data collecting for situations like this, but I don't want to take any chances on a $33000 car.

Anyone have any pictures they can post of a slipped valve retainer? that would help. I think that it would be obvious though.

thanks for all your help.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:16 AM

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by AMG,Aug 15 2005, 03:14 PM
Hey, go on a road trip! Nothing like 4K RPM for a couple 6-8 hour days that'll tell you how your motor is doing.
Now that, my friend, is a rediculous suggestion.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by DDSracer,Aug 17 2005, 08:40 AM
ok, I will try to pull the Valve-cover this week and take a look. I am very mechanically savvy but I've never worked on an s2k. Is the motor so far back in the engine bay that I will need any special tools to get the cover off.

I can take it to the dealer I just don't want to "admit" to them that I've over-revved the motor. You never know, they may put that in their "data system" and void any warranty on my engine tranny. I really don't know if Honda does any data collecting for situations like this, but I don't want to take any chances on a $33000 car.

Anyone have any pictures they can post of a slipped valve retainer? that would help. I think that it would be obvious though.

thanks for all your help.
Cover removal is easy but it helps to disconnect the wire harness on the firewall and move the wires out of the way. This will give you an extra 1/2 inch of wiggle room. Just be patient and do a little tilting as you lift. Watch you dont loose the rubber bushings on the cover as they are not attached and may dislodge when you remove the cover. Also, the rubber tubing near the front is a b*tch to remove and comes off the metal tubing easier than it comes off the cover.

As for what to look for, Billman had some excellent pictures in one of his threads, but they are no longer there. If you ask nice maybe he will repost for you. I believe the intake (drivers side) are the first to go so if you compare them to the exhaust retainers (passenger side) which should be in good shape, you should notice any obvious differences.

Quick Reply: over-revved? any damage?