S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Over-Rev Question?

Old 12-29-2004, 08:35 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

^
^
Me, too!
Old 12-29-2004, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

me three
Old 12-29-2004, 04:57 PM

I agree as well, my concern although is not with the thought of floating the valves or any damage to the valves themselves. Its the possibility of retainer damage. NOTE, I am now hearing this weird sound at 900 RPM's idle. It seems when the car sets into an idle of 900 RPM's, you can hear a noisy valve or something coming from the #1 cyclinder (at the top of the head). I haven't figured out what the sound is but have concluded that it is not injector pulse or the pully tensioner. The vehicle has never made this sound for the duration of my ownership. Also, the car idles 100% fine with no check engine light and oil just changed 40 miles ago. Hopefully this whole thing is resolved on Thursday! Anyone have any thoughts or comments on this sound?
Old 12-29-2004, 05:16 PM

You should listen to all four cylinders with a mechanics stethoscope.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bigsalgt,Dec 29 2004, 06:57 PM
NOTE, I am now hearing this weird sound at 900 RPM's idle. It seems when the car sets into an idle of 900 RPM's, you can hear a noisy valve or something coming from the #1 cyclinder (at the top of the head). I haven't figured out what the sound is but have concluded that it is not injector pulse or the pully tensioner. The vehicle has never made this sound for the duration of my ownership.
I think that after this whole episode happened, you are now super sensitive to all kinds of things, including noises, etc that you never were keying in on before. That new ticking you hear may simply be the Idle Air Control valve/solenoid doing its normal thing in controlling the idle. As RACER has indicated, a mechanics stethoscope will help you pinpoint this ticking. Perhaps Billman will look into this for you when he has your car.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Dec 29 2004, 09:12 PM
I think that after this whole episode happened, you are now super sensitive to all kinds of things, including noises, etc that you never were keying in on before.
100%. Today infact proved to be the big day for me. After a very long trip, everyones thoughts and conclusions were justified. Bill performed the valve adjustment and inspection of the retainers. After looking at them and showing me as well, none of the retainers were cracked or damaged. The valves although were out of spec. Now each intake and exhaust valve is in spec and the engine purs like never before. Bill also adjusted the clutch which made a world of difference for driving quality. If I had to share any opinions on this topic for those who are worried from over-reving and are also in the New York, Long Island area, TAKE it to Bill. His knowledge of the vehicle is outstanding and he will truly treat you as if he was you brother. If anyone needs information on this area alone he should be consulted! Xviper, thank you for pointing out Billman's knowledge to me in the prior posts. My car has never ran this well and the piece of mind has no price. $90 was worth knowing that the engine is sound once again. Thanks Bill!
Old 12-30-2004, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bigsalgt,Dec 30 2004, 11:02 PM
Xviper, thank you for pointing out Billman's knowledge to me in the prior posts. My car has never ran this well and the piece of mind has no price. $90 was worth knowing that the engine is sound once again. Thanks Bill!
I'm glad he came through for you. Although I do most of my own work on the S, sometimes, it would be great to have somebody like Billman in our town (for those "tough to handle" type of jobs).
Old 12-31-2004, 03:24 AM

damn, you NY guys are lucky to have a guy like Billman around! hey Billman, you're not planning to take a trip to Hawaii anytime soon are you?
Old 12-31-2004, 07:40 AM

Having people on the board is great for just asking questions! Xviper and Billman are great people to ask questions that really need answers. I would have never even known of the retainer problem if I didn't do a search on over-reving. Plus, not only did Bill adjust my valves and clutch, he also took out the slack and adjusted the throttle cable as well as made the roof operational without having to come to a complete stop. He has a couple of little tricks and Im probably going to have him install my gears when it comes time. All in all, I much happier that now the S is really running great and the fear of any damage has been eliminated. My knowledge of the F20c has grown and love for it has heightened as well!
Old 12-31-2004, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by krazik,Dec 21 2004, 11:11 PM
No arguement that if you -actually- over-rev your car you should check out the valve train. But in this case the guy didn't do it, and billman the self proclaimed "best s2k mechanic" seems more than willing to convince this guy he's gotta pay him $ to inspect the valves. When this "best mechanic", doesn't even know the actual redline of our car

to do 10500 rpms in 2nd (where honda has told us float occurs) you would need to be doing 77.5mph.
DID BILLMAN250 call himself the finest mechanic? I dont think so!
HE is one of the finest Mechanis we have in NYC !!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Over-Rev Question?