S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Over-Rev Question?

Old 12-18-2004, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over-Rev Question?

After completing a search on this topic, I haven't successfully received the proper answer to a couple of specific questions. After coming from work several nights ago I accidently shifted 6th down to 2nd. Luckily after realizing that I had not selected 4th gear and was in the 60-65mph region I depressed the clutch and selected 6th once more. Now here are my questions, the rev's did infact jump to redline but were only there for less then a second. The car runs very strong with no unexpected sounds and also no CEL. Could I have done any damage? If so, the fact that its been three days since the incident would any problems have surfaced by now? What are some other symptoms besides a rough idle and CEL that have been stated in other posts that I have read from searching this topic? If I did cause any damage would there have been a CEL for a broken retainer, guide or any other valve train item? Last question, forgive me, would there be a power loss due to this type of damage?
Old 12-19-2004, 07:22 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Reports of such occurences are posted every couple of weeks or so. And in almost every case, the owner saw it go to redline "but only for a second or so". For those who do this, it might simply be a subconscious desire for it to have been only this short a time.
Whether or not any damage has been done, you won't really tell. You won't necessarily get a CEL or poor running. You won't necessarily get a broken retainer.
Have you seen Billman's thread on the cracked retainers? Those cars, on the most part, weren't exhibiting any odd behavior nor were they showing CELs. Whether or not this happens as a "normal" circumstance (as opposed to over-revs) was never clearly shown. (Or those who did an over-rev aren't saying so.)
You ask questions that have been asked many times before, for which noone can give you a definitive answer.
The best answer would be, yes, you "could" have damaged something, but then, maybe you didn't.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

65 mph in 2nd is hardly an over rev.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by krazik,Dec 19 2004, 08:31 AM
65 mph in 2nd is hardly an over rev.
When it happened, I was thinking that same thing. Second gear can reach those speeds when being reved out through the gear. As soon as I hit the red I depressed the clutch and continued in sixth. My fear is that, if I did cause some slight damage I would rather it be caught before more damage occures. I would hate for something such as this to ruin something further in the engine with time expired. It could be that I am over reacting, maybe no damage has occured, but what if some had and I dont realize it in time? Are there any procedures that can take place in order to rule out such damage?
Old 12-19-2004, 09:12 AM

[QUOTE=xviper,Dec 19 2004, 08:22 AM] Reports of such occurences are posted every couple of weeks or so.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:54 AM

I think only Billman can comment on your question. You should PM him a link to this thread so he sees it.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:46 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

BTW, I recall talking to woodwork about this subject a year ago (he's a Honda guy who knows the S2000 well)... As I recall, our F20C engine is basically good until about 10,500 RPMs. It's after this point that the valves float and can/will impact the cylinder head and cause metal-metal contact damage. If you were just a wee bit over redline, you probably didn't do any damage, Bigs. As xviper points out, it's really impossible for us to know one way or the other.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Dec 19 2004, 03:46 PM
As xviper points out, it's really impossible for us to know one way or the other.
Once Santa brings me my crystal ball for Xmas, this will change.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

at 65mph you dont. You could spend a grand or two to tear your motor apart if you're that anal.

stop mis-shifting, pay attention when you're shifting and be happy you got away lucky.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by krazik,Dec 19 2004, 08:42 PM
at 65mph you dont. You could spend a grand or two to tear your motor apart if you're that anal.

stop mis-shifting, pay attention when you're shifting and be happy you got away lucky.
This was the first and last time its going to occur, believe me. I will make an appointment for a valve adjustment in the morning. From the great responses that I received and research that has been conducted I'm ruling out a bent valve but just want to double on the retainers and any other valve train part. I'll make sure to ask the tech at Honda to check the retainers and valve stems, hopefully your correct Krazik on being lucky and getting away from it. If anything else comes to mind please be sure to post as I read this a million times a day. Thank you once more!

Quick Reply: Over-Rev Question?