S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Over rev :mad:

Old 08-28-2006, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over rev :mad:

So I was merging on the highway and slipped into second instead of fourth. Shit.
I jammed the clutch back in fast but who knows if it was fast enough. I have a small loss of bower before vtec it would seem. Then again I just got the car so I tell myself maybe Im just getting more used to it.

Doing a search, looks like the first thing I need to chech is my retainers( i should anyway, who knows what the guy didi that had it before me) I never had to change retainers before, would I have to remove the head?

Car seems O.K but I dont want it to grow into something huge down the road.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you can change the valvetrain without removing the head. Just put the crank at TDC for each cylinder you are working on and they won't drop in.

Definitely REPLACE the retainers. Damage may be apparent now, as these things can take months to actually split open enough to drop a valve. If you truly overreved, don't just check...REPLACE.

Don't feed the urge to upgrade to titanium ones as they will only last a short while as titanium galls when in contact with other metals. Ti retainers are designed for racing apps with shorter maintenance intervals.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:19 PM

Nutar,
Check out my thread below titled missing gears. Xviper is the man.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:38 PM

Thanks> So looks like I better not drive till I figure out some more. At least check my retainers. Maybe leakdown test. I seen some mention of in small cases a valve adjustment would solve some problems. Is this true?
Old 08-29-2006, 02:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nutar,Aug 29 2006, 02:38 AM
I seen some mention of in small cases a valve adjustment would solve some problems. Is this true?
No.

If the retainers are fatigued or cracked they will eventually drop a valve. The adjustment may reduce the symptoms (ticking), but will not prevent the failure.

I wouldn't panic yet. It sounds like you know what to do - do a leakdown test and that will reveal if you have an immediate valve seating problem, even if small. Inspect the retainers and if any are craked or low on the valve replace them. If both procedures do not reveal a problem, you may choose to wait and repeat the inspection after some more miles are on the car.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Valve retainers are pretty cheap compared to a new engine... just something to consider
Old 08-29-2006, 07:42 AM

Thanks for your help guys
Old 08-29-2006, 09:29 AM

would doing so result in.... the car seem like its stuttering then go back to normal once in awhile?
Old 08-29-2006, 12:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

any idea how fast you were going? if the shift to second only overreved the engine a couple hundred rpms, you're most likely in the clear.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:11 PM

Im not shure how fast I was going. I was more concerned about the rpm at the time than the speed. I released the clutch slowly and seen the rpm and the end then redline flash and the feel of slowing down. I pushed it back in quick. There was allready an audible noise coming from the tensioner because I could hear it rattle on a warm start only. There is a noticable tickety noise while driving.
Anybody that lives in Vancouver B.C Canada that knows about the car and can give me a hand id really appreciate it.
Mark

Quick Reply: Over rev :mad: