S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

OVER REV Information

Old 08-27-2003, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OVER REV Information

Just finished up arbitration on my connecting rod issue and the rep for AHM kept on about the cause being an over rev.

Now there was only one cylinder affected by the over rev--according to them--and all other cylinders showed no marks from the valves hitting them. The cylinder that was damaged had at least 4 hits from both the exhuast and intake valves and appeard to rotate slightly.
Photos can be seen in my Broken connecting rod at 15,000 miles thread....

Does anyone have first hand knowlage of over rev/floating the valves with photos? I really can't see the engine turning at 11k and the valves only contacting the one piston.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have no first hand knowledge but have to agree. If you over-rev it will do it to all cylinders, and the only argument is that it was slight enough to only catch one of them before revs dropped. It seems like the rotating strike marks could be either from the piston on the broken rod rotating or maybe from the valves being bent more on each impact.. but that is inconsistent with the only one cylinder symptom.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:20 PM

So when you say you finished your arbitration, does that mean there has been a decision? Seems like you would be going in at a distinct disadvantage, as although they probably didn't have a lawyer PRESENT, you can sure they were prepped by one.

Per Magnusson-Moss, the burden of proof is on THEM to PROVE they should NOT have to pay the claim, correct? This seems like a very sketchy case that they have laid out. It really irks me that they made their mind up to dodge paying out on what seems like a legitimate claim.

I am also suprised the ECM does not store an "over-rev" code.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:35 PM

I am waiting on the decision. The BBB arbitration is binding to the Dealer but not to the consumer. And it is free.

No lawyer. The AHM rep called in for this thing.

It is my understanding that if the Check engine light comes on a snapshot of the engine condition is saved...
Old 08-28-2003, 10:04 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by airsport
[B]I am waiting on the decision. The BBB arbitration is binding to the Dealer but not to the consumer. And it is free.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:14 PM

I work at a performance shop. All day I build race engines for hondas/acuras and other imports. We've built 9 sec Civics and what not.

From the stuff I see comming in for repair...if you over reved to 11k not just 1 piston is going to be affected. Was the valve bent? Was the valve seat damaged? Do you have a pic of the entire head?

Thanks
mbitton

PS..send it to my shop, we will build you a bulletproof turboed beast
Old 08-28-2003, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happened to the rod in that cylinder? Did they look at the bottom end, especially in that cylinder? I have heard that we could have a problem with a rod stretching and would be very curious about this. If it was in fact over revved, why didn't the rest of the cylinders have the tell tale marks on the piston crowns and why weren't all of the valves bent? Was there a manufacturing defect in just this one cylinder? Sounds like a possibility to me.

IMHO they have not explained a thing yet. In the other cases of over revving that have been posted here, all of the valves and pistons were damaged, not just one cylinder.

Good luck.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by boiler
What happened to the rod in that cylinder? Did they look at the bottom end, especially in that cylinder? I have heard that we could have a problem with a rod stretching and would be very curious about this.
Good question.. rods don't normally break but do when there is a problem at one end or another. The few I have seen seemed to start with a stretched bolt on the big end.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:05 PM

Ok here is the link to the photos on the original post
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...06&pagenumber=5

the arbitration is binding to AHM not the consumer
Old 08-28-2003, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by airsport
It is my understanding that if the Check engine light comes on a snapshot of the engine condition is saved...
Come again?

Quick Reply: OVER REV Information