S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Over rev, bent valves, miss shifts

Old 03-24-2003, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over rev, bent valves, miss shifts

I have read some of the threads on this subject and have miss shifted in various cars including my sk2, but the miss shift is all but a micro second, the clutch is hardly fully engaged before my whole body, leg, and foot unconciously reacts to depress the clutch. It is not a reaction to watching the rev counter but to the sound, many years ago I learned to turn my sound system off when pushing the car hard. I know the stock sound system is not brilliant in this car but for me anything over half volume makes me nervous when in vtec. The sound in vtec is better than most music these days anyway

I wonder how many of these bent valve situations are due to having the sound system on full blast or even worse with head phones on!

Which brings me to the point: How many revs does it take to make the valves float and hit the pistons?
Old 03-24-2003, 12:29 PM

I'm also curious about this too (thanks to nigels). I have down-shifted once from 4th to 2nd accidentally. I've managed to depress the pedal just in time but I have this nagging thought ever since...like my post vtec performance got weaker etc. What are the symtoms of vent valves? Reduced power? Noise? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There's no telling how many revolutions of the engine it will take for the clutch to spin the crank up to 11K RPMs, but once the cams start spinning above 10K, I wouldn't be surprised if it just took one revolution before the 1st valve makes contact with a piston.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:43 PM

I would imagine it would be okay up to 10k, assuming that all components are proper working order and adjusted properly. That said, if valves are adjusted too tight or lacking lubrication or spring is fatigued...

I remember reading it somewhere that our engines initially had rev. limiters at 10k. And Honda reduced it down to 9K for production...
Old 03-26-2003, 04:40 PM

I heard that many RSX-S's were being overreved when they first came out so Honda hooked a K20 up to a dyno and drove the engine with it and using high speed cameras found that at 11000rpm valves would float and usually the head would snap off and then things got really nasty.

I'm sure that Honda has spun an F20 up to the exploding point but unfortunately my interesting story isn't all that relevant. Still, it was interesting and it wasted the time between when I started typing and when I'm leaving to go eat...
Old 03-26-2003, 05:23 PM

that's why i bought these for my car
http://www.todaracing.com/products/honda_s...ve_springs.html
Old 03-26-2003, 10:01 PM

I'm sure that Honda has spun an F20 up to the exploding point but unfortunately my interesting story isn't all that relevant. Still, it was interesting and it wasted the time between when I started typing and when I'm leaving to go eat...
Thanx for the chuckle man.

I too am a bit worried b/c I've mis-shifted for a nano-second a half-dozen times. Even so, my car still seems to pull just fine on the street and on the track. Hopefully *fingers crossed* I got that clutch back in in the nick of time.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:26 PM

"Thanx for the chuckle man. "

My pleasure. So, you coming out to any of the Open Track Challenge (http://www.opentrackchallenge.com/) events? I'll be there, you'll see some impressive cars and you can come over and say hi! (Assuming they're still allowing Dern Canadians across the border for such frivolous pursuits as racing...)
Old 03-27-2003, 11:51 PM

Yeah I'll probably be able to hit the one on April 8th at Buttonwillow. It should be a lot of fun to check out all the cars and cheer the S2000 guys on.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:06 PM

Well, i can tell you from my expericance last week. Dont go to second when you have third redlined( I missed 4th somehow) Ill be paying this one off for a while. My aftermarket stereo was at full blast too, it was such a beautiful day
-Patrick

Quick Reply: Over rev, bent valves, miss shifts