S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Over heating issue driving me crazy

Old 12-05-2006, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Over heating issue driving me crazy

Alright, my car is over heating The top radiater hose gets hot but the bottom one is ice cold. at an idle moving or whenever it still over heats, we thought it was the headgasket, but it holds cyl. pressure and coolant pressure. but we are gonna dye check it for exhaust gases tommarow, but intill then i need some input.Correct me if im wrong there is a bleed screw on the front of the motor and there a cap with a clamp on it for the heater core correct? should i try taking the thermastat out completly and seeing whath happens there? perhaps a blockage?

1. the thermastat is good and new
2. water pump is fine
3. air has been blead
4. vacume tank has a level in it and is not sucking air in from there
Old 12-05-2006, 02:25 PM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

If your lower radiator hose is cold, it is likely that your thermostat is not opening up. To test, pull the thermostat out, stick it in a pot of boiling water and see if it opens up. If it doesn't, then replace it. If it does, then put it back on, making sure you don't put it in backwards.

But before you do this, make sure your cooling fan is kicking on. When the car overheats, is the radiator hot to the touch? If the radiator gets hot but your fan isn't kicking on, then you might have a fan switch problem. Let us know, and we can walk you through diagnosing that problem.

Here's how I bleed bubbles out of my system in other cars I've had: remove the upper radiator hose at the radiator and pour the coolant mixture into the hose. If it spills over, its full. Make sure your heater is set to "hot" so you can purge bubbles out of your heater core. Some air pockets are stubborn, and need some engine RPMs to remove. But don't run high RPMs if your thermostat isn't opening up.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:36 PM

Old 12-05-2006, 02:43 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Thermostat.
However back when I had this one Civic that constantly overheated, the hoses felt different but the thermostat was fine. We also found that the system constantly had air in it, the system just would never completely burp itself, very minimal... turns out it was a crack in the block by the headers :/. But thinking back, the hoses didn't feel thaaat much different. I'd say thermostat though.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:11 PM

Angry

it wasnt the thermastat, my radiator fan is constantly running cause the aem ems dosnt have fan control its glitched, im thinking i got a blockage when i went to boil the thermastat i noticed a peace of the gasked missing/ripped off, so i dont know im going to bore scope it tommarow to be sure i dont have a blockage, but im also going to run no thermastat to see what happens.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:40 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it sounds like you might need a radiator. Hot hose on one end, means you have hot water to the radiator, cold coming away from the radiator suggests you have a flow restriction in the radiator. Traditionally, they plug from the inside out so, I'd feel the fins when it's hot and see if the center of the radiator's cold. If it is, and it's warmer on the outer fins, you need a radiator.

You've only ever used Honda pre-mix right? Silica containing antifreeze is a no-no on a honda.

Does the heater work?
Old 12-05-2006, 10:42 PM

yes honda antifreeze only, i didnt think it be the radiator cause its a bran new not even 2 months old koyo aluminum radiator
Old 12-06-2006, 05:11 AM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

I highly doubt that it's the radiator. The thermostat is attached to the lower radiator hose, not the upper hose.
I think your plan to try it without a thermostat is good. Let us know what you find.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:54 AM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at the diagram again, I have to agree. Lower hose cold suggests stat doesn't open. What's odd to me anyway is why the upper hose would get hot.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:49 PM

thanks for the input guys working on it now ill let you know

Quick Reply: Over heating issue driving me crazy