S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

OT: Can you solve this Prelude electrical problem?

Old 03-27-2001, 04:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moderators, move this to off topic if you must. This seemed like the right forum for a technical question.

My daily driver, my '93 Prelude VTEC, has an electrical problem. When I switch on the parking lights or the head lights, the following things stay dark: the dash lights that illuminate the speedometer, tachometer, odometer, the cabin lights that light the climate control and the radio controls, and the Honda fog lights don't work at all.

Also, when I turn on the headlights or the parking lights, the clock doesn't dim. Also the dimmer on the dash doesn't do anything because the lights it controls are dark.

This problem has been intermittent for about a month. Otherwise I would suspect a fuse.

The dealer thinks it is the switch on the left side steering wheel stalk.

I wonder if there's a relay somewhere under the hood that controls this. It seems like a lot of amps (including the fog lights) to put through a switch on the stalk without a relay.

Barry
Old 03-27-2001, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sounds kinda familiar, (I had a 5th gen Prelude) but besides my dash lights not turning on, my parking lights and rear tail lights did not work also. I checked all the fuses (under the hood and under the dash), but none of them were broken.

I took it to the dealer and they did a diagnostic test on it and found that the fuse box was causing the problem. They had to order a new fuse box and wiring. They said that my aftermarket (clifford concept) alarm caused the problem, thus they wouldn't warrant it.

Hope that helps a little...
Old 03-27-2001, 10:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DeeGYM
[B]This sounds kinda familiar, ... but besides my dash lights not turning on, my parking lights and tail lights did not work also.
Old 03-27-2001, 11:35 AM

Barry,

That's the same exact thing that happenned then. Also, I had JDM foglights that didn't turn on too. When I first talked to the dealership, they said they never heard of such a thing.

I thought it was the interior lights too, then my friend pointed out that my taillights didn't work either. It's weird cause the headlights and turn signals work, like you stated.

Please do tell what happenned, b/c the dealer blamed my alarm. BTW, it cost me $600. The fuse box took 2 weeks to come in, b/c there was a back order for it.
Old 03-27-2001, 12:09 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DeeGYM
[B]Barry,
Old 03-27-2001, 01:12 PM

Thanks Barry,

I just remembered, after reading your story, that this happened after I washed my car. That's what I told the dealer too.

Weird...
Old 04-05-2001, 03:54 PM

The problem was neither the switch on the steering column stalk, nor the $600 fuse box underneath the hood.

The problem was a $0.50 connector in the fuse box near the driver's left knee! I paid very little.

In fact, the total bill was $116 including: fixing the wiring problem, replacing a broken wiring cover on the VTEC engine's valve cover, fixing a wiring problem on a utility trailer I tow with the Prelude, changing the Prelude's oil and oil filter, changing over from snow tires to summer tires, installing new wiper blades, and checking all fluids.

I am SO GLAD I was wrong. It had nothing to do with washing the car, nothing to do with after market equipment, etc. It just happened.
Old 04-06-2001, 12:56 PM

Weird, I guess it was a coincidence then...

I'm pretty sure the same thing happenned to my car, but they tried to rip me off by saying it was a fuse box. Oh well, I got to drive a Civic DX for 2 weeks.