S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

ORC clutch problems

Old 03-25-2007, 02:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ORC clutch problems

Wondering if someone could help out with some information regarding an issue i'm having with my clutch.

Around 10,000 km's ago ( 4 months ago ) i got an ORC 309D installed into my s2k. Its supposed to be a heavy duty clutch and apparently rated for more power than the stock s2k clutch so i thought it would be a good buy as it would last me a fair bit. I took it easy for the first 500 or 1000 kms beeding it in properly.

Just driving around through suburbs its ok; the problem that i'm having is after a while of city bumper to bumper stop start traffic when i go to take off the car shudders and sorta starts hopping forward. I'm assuming this is the clutch heating up too much and slipping?

Depending how much its heated up/wants to slip most of the time i can dial in a bit more revs and move forward however its not graceful. I assume when this happens i'm riding the clutch cuz you can hear the plate sorta grinding a bit. If its real bad i clutch in and try to take off again and it sorta splutters forward.

Would i be correct in saying that start stop traffic is heating up and glazing the clutch friction plate meaning that i'm going to need a new clutch soon? The clutch performance isn't so crash hot as it was at the start it used to bite on nicely at the start now it sorta eases on.

I know the excedy heavy duties have had some issues wearing out prematurely in the same way; are these the same symptoms the exedy's display for premature wear/failure?

When i bought the clutch i explained that i wanted a clutch that would be good for performance and stronger than the s2k clutch, however still suitable for everyday driving as i was commuting to and from the city each day and i was recommended this. If it is infact wearing out and going to need a replacement soon i'll get my lawyer onto these guys and get my $3K back.

I'd definately recommend the stock honda clutch to anyone who requires a replacement clutch after my experience with this ORC piece of shit.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:01 AM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

Who recommended that crap? I've never even heard of it.

ACT all the way. 100% positive feedback on over 20 cars.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:05 AM
Banned

Chasers in melbourne recommended it. ORC is ogura racing clutch.....

Billman from what i've described do you agree this clutch is literally smoking away in stop start traffic?
Old 03-25-2007, 12:52 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

There is a possibility that the clutch master maybe going bad. Try the easy stuff first then go for the clutch job as the last fix all. A bad master will give you a bad peddle feel and bad engagement. It will work fine when the car is cool but, when it warms up or gets hot, it will crap out
Old 03-26-2007, 12:36 AM
Banned

Heres the answer!!!! this is the INCORRECT ORC CLUTCH for my specific model of S2000!!!! Cant wait to go drill the mechanic tomorrow!!! I have an AP1-130

Thank you for your e-mail.
We are OG System Inc.
The OG System Inc. company is a world general agent of the Ogura Clutch ORC brand.
I am Jon N. Watanabe of the managing director of OG System Inc.

First of all, There is a body stamp number of the three following types in S2000.
1,AP1-110
2,AP1-120
3,AP1-130
At the same time, transmission is changed from the middle of AP-120.
*The transmission stamp number before change
<SCYM-2024810>
*The transmission stamp number after change
<SCYM-2024811>

AP1-110 is OK.
AP1-120 and <SCYM-2024810> is OK.
AP1-120 and <SCYM-2024811> is impossible.
AP1-130 is impossible.
The reason, the releasearm of a conversion kit interferes with the rib of a missions case.
When having interfered, in order that a releasebearing may not separate from a diaphragm completely, it will always be in a half clutch state.
There are not the clutch for after AP1-120<SCYM-2024811> in ORC.
Anyway, first of all, please check the body stamp number and the transmission number.

When the body stamp number and the transmission number are ok, unless a half clutch is used abundantly, such a phenomenon does not come out.

Best regards
ORC
Jon N. Watanabe

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi There,

I have a question for you I was hoping you could assist me with.

I live in Melbourne, Australia and I have a 2000 model Honda s2000. I replaced the clutch with an ORC 309D clutch around 10,000kms ago (6 months ago)

I was recommended this clutch from a local mechanic here in Melbourne. When I spoke to the mechanic explained that my clutch requirements were that I wanted a heavy duty clutch for good performance but also something that would be suitable for driving in and out of the city monday to friday each week in heavy stop start traffic. I was recommended the ORC -309D clutch.

My question for you is would you agree that this clutch would wear out prematurely if driven in consistent stop-start driving conditions that you would experience in driving to and from the city centre for an hour each day Monday to Friday?

My ORC clutch has started to slipping and shuddering after consistent stop start traffic over the last 10,000km's and I believe that the Mechanic I went to recommended the wrong clutch to me after I explained my requirements. I have done some further research and spoken with a my Honda and other mechanics and have come to the conclusion that the ORC 309D is much more of a racing clutch that performs very well on the track/racing conditions but is not suited to stop start city driving conditions which will ruin the clutch and wear it out prematurely.

Would you agree that the application of the ORC 309D clutch is for racing/track use and is not suitable for repetitive stop start city driving? Or has the clutch been installed incorrectly perhaps, or do I have a faulty ORC 309D clutch kit??

Would appreciate your feedback,
Old 03-26-2007, 01:31 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm pretty surprised that the model you got isn't correct and yet it seems to work correctly until overworked.

To be honest this sounds just like the sort of trouble guys have had with the Exedy Hyper Single. If you use it as a street clutch and drive it in stop start traffic it overheats and misbehaves. And this leads to premature failure.

I have a feeling it is either the right clutch, or the mechanics made the necessary modifications to make it work, and it just isn't suitable for your driving environment.

I currently run an uprated stock clutch and it hold the power nicely but doesn't like stop start traffic nor repeated forward reverse maneuvering and can start to slip. With my engine rebuild I've had a Exedy Hyper Single rebuilt and I highly suspect the problems will be even worse.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:42 AM
Banned

Aus, yeah its weird....I assume that the noisy clutch in sound is due to the fact its the wrong kit? maybe not......its pretty noisy.

It was ok at the start however a bit jerky but i put this down to the fact that its supposed to be a performance clutch. after some time and usage as well as frequent stop start traffic its really turned to shit and most likely worn the hell out of it.

Wonder what chasers is going to say tomorrow when i roll in there and explain they installed the wrong clutch into my car and i want my money back! i'll keep you guys posted on what happens, i'll definately get my money back even if i have to take it to court.