S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

opened brake fluid?

Old 01-31-2012, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opened brake fluid?

i recently bought some honda brake fluid and used a few ounces of it for my clutch. the service manual states to always use an unopened bottle for clutch and brake fluid changes, im assuming that this is to prevent the use of fluid which has absorbed moisture from the atmosphere. my question is, is there any way to store opened, unused brake fluid? i currently have my leftover fluid in its original bottle, in a zip-lock bag with most of the air squeezed out...i used so little of the bottle, id hate to waste the rest.

thoughts?

thanks.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why don't you use the rest of the bottle to do your brakes? Or just do the clutch a couple of more times in the next week or so with the same bottle?
Old 01-31-2012, 01:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Off topic, I just noticed that I have pink stars under my name. What's up with that???
Old 01-31-2012, 01:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I put a date on the zip lock bag and use the fluid from an opened container for a year.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by INDYMAC
Why don't you use the rest of the bottle to do your brakes? Or just do the clutch a couple of more times in the next week or so with the same bottle?

thats a definite option, but itd obviously be more effective over a slightly longer time period, like a few weeks so the fluid has ample time to circulate. im not looking to store the fluid for very long, maybe a month. also, i dont really want to look for ways to use it every time i buy a bottle, but will if it cant be stored for even a relatively short period of time.

thanks
Old 01-31-2012, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by cdelena
I put a date on the zip lock bag and use the fluid from an opened container for a year.

im guessing nothing untoward has happened to your clutch / brake system?
Old 01-31-2012, 06:02 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

They generally say to use fluid from a sealed container, I take that to mean a fluid bottle with a cap on it, not necessarily one that is completely unopened. If you want to keep your clutch master cylinder working properly swap out the fluid every 4 months while the vehicle is in use, that should keep your fluid stash fresh on a regular basis.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by INDYMAC
I agree with INDYMAC. I'd change the clutch fluid again and then use the rest to change some of the brake fluid (or throw it out). Brake fluid isn't that expensive and once you open the bottle you let air in so it's going to absorb moisture from the air. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a bottle that's been sitting there for a few months or one that has been opened multiple times.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:02 PM

If you want to store it for a little bit then I'd recommend using putting saran wrap over the open bottle, then screwing the lid back on top of the saran wrap. That should keep it pretty airtight until next time. Also if you guys think about it your cmc reservoir cant be more airtight than a tightly closed bottle so I wouldnt really worry about it too much.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always thought about this as well. I have had a OEM Honda brake fluid bottle in my garage for awhile now. I plan on using it for my Civic when I do my brake fluid flush. I have used a container that was opened for awhile before on the S2000 and I havent had any problems. The way I see it is if it has a cap on and its tight the amount of moisture would be minimal at best.

I am pretty religious on changing fluids on my car so I think I should be fine either way. Putting it in a ziplock sounds like a good idea, but probably overkill.

Quick Reply: opened brake fluid?