S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Only 1 Radiator Fan Turns On

Old 07-31-2016, 01:53 PM
Fat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only 1 Radiator Fan Turns On

I made a thread a couple weeks ago about my ap1 reaching 4 temp bars on occasion during idle. I just noticed only 1 of the two fans spins when the car reaches a certain temperature. Has anyone had this problem before? As one of my fans still turn on is it safe to rule out the thermostat and just replace the cooling fans?

Taking a closer look only the drivers side fan comes on, and that's with the AC turned on. Car on or off that fan turns on with the a/c, are both supposed to turn on though?

The coolant temperature reached 213f and the passenger side fan still doesn't come on, and I'm assuming the same happens when the car reached 4 bars.

Do different fuses control each fan? Or is it time to replace the fan motor?
Old 07-31-2016, 03:07 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,255 Likes on 1,096 Posts

There's only one (1) engine radiator fan. It's on the right side of the car. If that turns on you're good to go, The second fan (on the left) is the AC condenser fan and comes on with the AC.

There's a one page trouble shooting guide in the shop manual. Chapter 10. 00-03 manual is on-line.

Fuse 57 and 58 protect the fans.

-- Chuck
Old 07-31-2016, 08:46 PM
Fat

Originally Posted by Chuck S
There's only one (1) engine radiator fan. It's on the right side of the car. If that turns on you're good to go, The second fan (on the left) is the AC condenser fan and comes on with the AC.

There's a one page trouble shooting guide in the shop manual. Chapter 10. 00-03 manual is on-line.

Fuse 57 and 58 protect the fans.

-- Chuck
Thanks, I attempted to jump the fan motor as the manual suggests but the fan did not kick on.
I unplugged the fan motor connector and attached paper clips to each terminal, then I used jumper cables from the car's battery to connect the positive to the paperclips referencing the manual for positive and ground. Is this the correct procedure?

And if it is the correct method would a broken switch or thermostat prevent the fan from spinning?
From searching I see posts about people jumping the switch and relays, but how would you even jump those?
Old 08-01-2016, 03:10 AM
Member (Premium)

Do you have the service manual? Some of it is confusing to me!

BOTH fans should run with the AC on regardless of engine temperature. Does that happen? This is the easiest to verify the fans are good but doesn't verify the radiator fan switch is good 'cuz the AC switch overrides it.

Engine coolant fan (right side) should run when the temperature gets to about 196°. Sounds like this isn't happening. Prime suspect is the radiator fan switch present on the pre-2006 cars. Later cars are more complicated and run everything thru the ECU and the dashboard panel for these cars has a self diagnostic that can be activated.

Several of the cures are simply verifying the fuses are good and cleaning connectors.

I can copy some pages tonight if you need them.

-- Chuck
Old 08-01-2016, 11:05 AM
Fat

I was able to find a copy of the service manual last night.

When I turn the AC on only the drivers side fan turns on and the passenger side doesn't. I've checked the fuses under the hood and swapped the a/c and the cooling fans around with the same result. The fuses under the dash also seem good. Since the AC overrides the radiator fan switch, turning on the AC should turn on the fan regardless of thermostat or switch right?

Is it safe to assume at this point at least the motor is gone for the cooling fan? And if both did spin with the A/C but not turn on when it reaches operating temperature it would likely be the switch?
Old 08-01-2016, 03:01 PM
Member (Premium)

What model year is your car? The '06 and later run fan control thru the ECU (there is, of course, delay) and there are diagnostic tests that are run via the climate control panel.

You can test the fan with 12v to the plug. Unplug first -- you already know how to do this -- and put 12vDC on the terminals. Fan will run one way or the other depending on which wire went there. Fan run? If the fan is good follow the steps on pages 10-18 to 10-21. If not replace it. Used fans are on Ebay all the time. Jumper wire and a volt meter is all ya need for the tests. Relays run about $20 each if they're the problem.

-- Chuck
Old 08-01-2016, 04:39 PM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

He said AP1, so likely the fan motor is kaput, if he's already checked the relays and tried to jump the fan. Is the fan getting voltage? What kind of resistance are you seeing with no power to the fan?
Old 08-01-2016, 07:44 PM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

When I let my MY00 idle after a track session to cool down, both fans cycle on and off together. This is without the AC on.

I'd follow Chuck's advice to determine if it's the fan or the circuit providing it power.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:50 AM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

He already tried to power the fan directly, nothing.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:33 AM
Member (Premium)

If the fan ain't running directly from 12vDC then it's the fan! Or the wiring in the little harness between the connector and the fan itself. The weak points of any vehicle electrical system seem to be the connectors.

Radiator fan assembly is $70 on Ebay.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: Only 1 Radiator Fan Turns On