S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

One wheel toed in more than the other?

Old 04-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default One wheel toed in more than the other?

Hi,

I've recently been having some suspension issues, which I won't go into detail about here. I'm on KW V3's with Megan rear toe control arms, 17x9.5 rims with 255 tires, 32mm front sway etc.

I was behind my car earlier today and noticed that the left rear tire is toed in more than the right side. I'm running way less rear toe than a stock S2000. The right rear wheel was almost pointing straight.

My alignment specs for the rear as of 2 weeks ago are:

-4 camber both sides
0.06 toe in on each side, 0.12 degrees of toe total

Car is dropped to about a finger gap from fender to top of tire

So it comes out perfectly on the rack, so why then does it look off? Also, the car has way more resistance when making left turns (and less traction) than when making right turns. Could it be because the left side is toed in and the right side has less toe, so the car is more inclined to make right turns?

Also noticed on my last set of tires that one of the tires was being worner faster than the other (I flipped the tires side to side so I don't know when it started when I discovered it.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I just went and got another alignment yesterday because I thought my car was not handeling as well as it used to. Lets just say it was way off! I had it aligned last year about this same time and since then either the bolts started slipping or the alignment was just never done correctly. My rear toe was way out of whack. Front was slightly off but not nearly as bad as the rear. So maybe something settled and the alignment is now off?

Obvious question though, was the car ever in a wreck or has anything happened that could tweak the chassis?
Old 04-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLast13
I just went and got another alignment yesterday because I thought my car was not handeling as well as it used to. Lets just say it was way off! I had it aligned last year about this same time and since then either the bolts started slipping or the alignment was just never done correctly. My rear toe was way out of whack. Front was slightly off but not nearly as bad as the rear. So maybe something settled and the alignment is now off?

Obvious question though, was the car ever in a wreck or has anything happened that could tweak the chassis?
As far as I know, no. I got it last year with 39k miles on it and a clean title.

I'm wondering if maybe the rear ball joint is bad...
Old 04-30-2011, 08:44 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Sounds like the rolling compensation was disturbed before the alignment was started.

The toe of each wheel (which is way too low btw) may be good in relation to each other, but not to the square of the car. When sighting the wheels from the back, they should appear the same. If it is visually off, then you can bet your ass the rolling compensation was compromised.

Take it back. If been aligning cars on 4 different machines for over 20 years. I have instructed all the mechanics how to use the machines and how to align a car
Old 04-30-2011, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im trying to find a place that does alignments on aggressive stance cars in the San Diego area. If anybody knows anyone let me know please!!