S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

One side higher than the other

Old 07-31-2013, 08:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by realblag
The difference in camber will give the appearance of a height difference every time.
Good point Will.... could be an optical illusion, or a combination of a couple things...
Old 07-31-2013, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
Originally Posted by realblag' timestamp='1375331393' post='22699707
The difference in camber will give the appearance of a height difference every time.
Good point Will.... could be an optical illusion, or a combination of a couple things...
But I measured the fender gap with a ruler. lol. Btw, a mechanic flagged something that could potentially cause driving issues as he was installing an aftermarket front sway bar but I can't recall what he said.. This is nuts! I'm still wondering if coilovers can resolve the height difference for now.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe find some new balljoints and fix your camber, then coilovers IMO. I really dont even want to say this but... have you checked for frame damage?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by johngamez10
Hi guys.First off I have an 02' with 102k on the chassis. I just noticed that one side of the car (front passenger side) is significantly higher than the other (front driver side). The car is a salvage title and was hit on the front passenger side. I went for an alignment and they told me that the front passenger side wheel has a camber of two degrees and cannot be adjusted. Moreover, the driver side front is stuck at about zero degrees. Additionally the car pulls to the left at around 40-50 miles per hour. What's the problem here?? I am stuck and I neeed helpp. I hate driving it like this...
Are your tire pressures correct? Do you have the alignment specs? Was the subframe damaged in the previous accident?

Did they tell you why they could not adjust the camber on the front? Are the camber bolts seized? If they're seized, you're either going to need to replace the lower arms with OEM ones, or buy aftermarket bushings (assuming the lower arms aren't damaged) and have someone install them.

If you get OEM, make sure they put some anti-seize in the sleeve and on the alignment bolt (not on the threads), and to get an alignment every year, and repeat with the anti-seize. Especially if you drive in an area that uses road salt, and even then sometimes the alignment bolts can still seize.

Originally Posted by jordanksartell' timestamp='1375331894' post='22699714
[quote name='realblag' timestamp='1375331393' post='22699707']
But I measured the fender gap with a ruler. lol. Btw, a mechanic flagged something that could potentially cause driving issues as he was installing an aftermarket front sway bar but I can't recall what he said.. This is nuts! I'm still wondering if coilovers can resolve the height difference for now.
[/quote]

Do you currently have OEM shocks and springs? Don't bother with coilovers until you solve the real problem. Lowering your car will give you more negative camber, but it won't actually fix your problem.

The main problem you've pointed out is that you can't get a proper alignment. You'll need to figure out if your subframe/control arms/knuckle are damaged, if your alignment bolts are seized, or if there's some other problem that hasn't been seen yet.

The next problem is that your car is pulling to the side. This could be the alignment, tire pressures, tire wear, etc.

One side higher than the other is a secondary issue.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shinigamiz
Originally Posted by johngamez10' timestamp='1375319410' post='22699419
Hi guys.First off I have an 02' with 102k on the chassis. I just noticed that one side of the car (front passenger side) is significantly higher than the other (front driver side). The car is a salvage title and was hit on the front passenger side. I went for an alignment and they told me that the front passenger side wheel has a camber of two degrees and cannot be adjusted. Moreover, the driver side front is stuck at about zero degrees. Additionally the car pulls to the left at around 40-50 miles per hour. What's the problem here?? I am stuck and I neeed helpp. I hate driving it like this...
Are your tire pressures correct? Do you have the alignment specs? Was the subframe damaged in the previous accident?

Did they tell you why they could not adjust the camber on the front? Are the camber bolts seized? If they're seized, you're either going to need to replace the lower arms with OEM ones, or buy aftermarket bushings (assuming the lower arms aren't damaged) and have someone install them.

If you get OEM, make sure they put some anti-seize in the sleeve and on the alignment bolt (not on the threads), and to get an alignment every year, and repeat with the anti-seize. Especially if you drive in an area that uses road salt, and even then sometimes the alignment bolts can still seize.

Do you currently have OEM shocks and springs? Don't bother with coilovers until you solve the real problem. Lowering your car will give you more negative camber, but it won't actually fix your problem.

The main problem you've pointed out is that you can't get a proper alignment. You'll need to figure out if your subframe/control arms/knuckle are damaged, if your alignment bolts are seized, or if there's some other problem that hasn't been seen yet.

The next problem is that your car is pulling to the side. This could be the alignment, tire pressures, tire wear, etc.

[/quote]

I'll take a picture of the alignment specs as soon as I get home from work. Getting a proper alignment is the problem with my car. Tire pressure is good all around. I do have OEM shocks and springs installed. How much should I expect to pay for an experienced mechanic to inspect any damage? I live in SoCal.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by shinigamiz' timestamp='1375372835' post='22700568
[quote name='johngamez10' timestamp='1375319410' post='22699419']

[/quote]

I'll take a picture of the alignment specs as soon as I get home from work. Getting a proper alignment is the problem with my car. Tire pressure is good all around. I do have OEM shocks and springs installed. How much should I expect to pay for an experienced mechanic to inspect any damage? I live in SoCal.
[/quote]

I have no idea, but I think you have a lot of options in SoCal. I think there should be a good number of shops relatively close to you area that work on S2000s. Try posting in the SoCal subforum and ask for a recommended shop. You want a shop or mechanic that specializes on S2000s rather than... a Honda dealership.

Call up one of those shops, but make sure to tell them everything - explain to them the problem with the alignment being stuck, pulling to the left, and that it previously had some unknown amount of damage to the front. They should be able to give you a rough estimate on how long the inspection might take and charges for it.

Do you have any idea how bad the previous damage was? Any idea what was repaired? Reason for salvage title? Any idea if there's frame damage? If so, you might need a really good body shop.