S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

one brake rotor hotter than others

Old 02-10-2011, 01:45 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250,Feb 10 2011, 04:40 AM
if you find a stuck rotor, momentarily open the bleeder on the stuck wheel. if it instanly frees up, you have a bad hose on that wheel.

if not, look for the other issues.
do you do this by opening the reservoir cap or leaving it closed?

i dont mean to hijack the thread, but sometimes when i'm slowing down and if i let go the steering wheel the car pulls either to the left or right.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:01 PM

Received 1,399 Likes on 838 Posts

cap can stay closed.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:10 PM
ado

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billman250,Feb 10 2011, 05:40 PM
You can fix it by opening a bleeder on the side of the system with low pressure, while someone holds firmly on the brake.

Trial and error. have someone watch the light with the key on. open bleeder fast and close it. when the pressure equalizes, the guy holding the pedal will feel a small thud in the pedal and the light will go off.
Thank you for the advice Billman, I will try this on Saturday and report back if it works or not.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no problem with you guys that think your hijacking my thread...as long as it stays relevant somewhat i dont care lol...some good information getting passed around in here so thanks to everyone...
Old 02-13-2011, 05:44 AM
ado

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billman250,Feb 10 2011, 05:40 PM
You can fix it by opening a bleeder on the side of the system with low pressure, while someone holds firmly on the brake.

Trial and error. have someone watch the light with the key on. open bleeder fast and close it. when the pressure equalizes, the guy holding the pedal will feel a small thud in the pedal and the light will go off.
It turns out my BRAKE light was caused by the reservoir floater being stuck. Once it was freed, the light went off with the parking brake down.

As for the pads constantly contacting the rotors, I inspected a friend's S2000 and his pads are also contacting the rotors. I guess this is normal?

Thank you for taking the time to help me Billman!
Old 02-13-2011, 03:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a similar problem but on a front passenger side wheel...Also noticed that it dusts more than the drivers side wheel.

Car is on a lift, I rotate drivers side front wheel and it rotates for several seconds, then do the same on the passenger side front wheel and it stops in half the time.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
All rotors should be the same temp. Your hot rotor is dragging.

4 things can make pads drag on the rotor when the brakes are not being used, causing it to heat up.

-sticking pads: pads that are tight in the calper bracket, because of rust or bad fit of pad..little filing and some grease will fix

-brake hose: hose is holding hydraulic pressure. i have seen this countless times in the industry, but never on the s2k yet. so this is unlikely.

-caliper slide pins: if one or both of the slide pins are frozen, it will hold the outer pad against the rotor. remove pins, clean rust out, lube with grease

-caliper piston: over time, debris and rust can acumilate in the piston, causing it to stick out. sometimes you can remove the piston, clean it out, and it will be like new. other times moisture will have rusted the piston, and you will need a caliper

TEST: place car on stands, wheels off. hold brake down hard, release.

step out of the car and try to turn rotors by hand. they should turn easily with one hand.

if you find a stuck rotor, momentarily open the bleeder on the stuck wheel. if it instanly frees up, you have a bad hose on that wheel.

if not, look for the other issues.
I just found out last night that my driver side rotors got hotter than the passenger side because of the smell. Same scenario, driving on the freeway and when I pulled up to my driveway I smelled it. Would the VSA has something to do with the pads rubbing against the rotor? I recently changed my steering wheel to an aftermarket one and the VSA light came on. It's been a month now since I changed it and VSA light is still on. I read on other threads that the VSA light would not affect braking. The brake issue just popped up after a month. No issues with the brakes until now. I have a MY06.