S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

One Blown Motor (Missing One Rod)

Old 12-06-2004, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 12-07-2004, 06:21 PM
cjl

Wait a minute, what are you guys saying - I shouldn't tell them that I do drops at 8,000 rpms all the time? You have me all so confused...

</sarcasm>

Eagerly awaiting news from Honda World tomorrow...

Great smilie by the way RACER.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravenwerk,Dec 6 2004, 10:36 AM
God knows car dealerships are above reproach when it comes to "honesty".
I think you meant that they are not above reproach. You are correct, there are many people that are deceptive and dishonest, but that's certainly not a reason to do so yourself.

Originally Posted by Ravenwerk,Dec 4 2004, 11:36 AM
What do you know of honesty with a presumptuous attitude like that?
I'm not presuming anything, just responding to your statement encouraging dishonesty, that's all.

[QUOTE=Ravenwerk,Dec 4 2004, 11:36 AM] Just don't let Honda know that you didn't know about the new short block at first.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by cjl,Dec 7 2004, 09:21 PM
Great smilie by the way RACER.
Yeah, I got a kick out of that one too!

Where'd you get it?

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:40 AM

Old 12-08-2004, 10:08 AM
cjl

So according to the visual inspection, there's a hole the size of nantucket in the side of my block - a rod decided it wanted to be "free".

Looks like this may become an uphill battle. I had to commit $2500 to having them teardown this bitch to find out if they can pin the motor on me. Their concerns are overrev (never done it, not from red line - nor from mis-down shifting) and water ingestion (stock intake and I don't cut through water like a clipper ship (or any ship for that matter). I mean, how often is it wet in LA anyway.... So I think I'm ok there.

So what do you guys think? I already know I'm up the creek, the question is, do I have a paddle or not...

So let the betting begin - who wants to set the line for whether or not Honda covers it?

Old 12-08-2004, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by cjl,Dec 8 2004, 02:08 PM
I had to commit $2500 to having them teardown this bitch to find out if they can pin the motor on me.
There is no way that they can require you to commit $2500 for them to determine if they can find a reason not to cover it under warranty. You should not have agreed to that. They've basically got you by the balls now.

The burden is on them to prove that you have violated the terms of the warranty. In a situation like this, you have to call them on their tactic. Send a certified letter to the warranty company telling them to fix it. If they say that you must agree to pay whatever amount of money, then tell them that you won't. If they say that they won't fix it, then get the name of the registered agent (for the company that has provided the warranty) and sue them in small claims court. You don't have to deal with Honda putting you through the ringer, the BBB (they have no real power), or arbitration. That's all just BS that's designed to wear you out. When you go to court, have your maintenance records and tell the judge what happened. You'll have an easier time demonstrating that they have not honored the warranty than they will showing that you're a liar who abused his car. My personal experience has been that when you sue someone in small claims court, they will often do the right thing instead of having to go before the judge.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravenwerk,Dec 4 2004, 10:36 AM
Just don't let Honda know that you didn't know about the new short block at first.
What's the significance of this? That seems about as helpfull as not telling him his last name (at first).
Old 12-08-2004, 02:16 PM
cjl

Thanks for the tips Bret. Right now the dealer is trynig to get Honda to cover this under the car's initial warranty, but of course, they are saying it's odd for the car to take a second motor in such a short period of time.

My car's warranty was up 09/01/04 I believe, but the motor was installed on 12/23/03 and only like 7k or 8k miles ago. Does anyone know what kind of warranty is on something like that? 90 Days, 6 Months, 12 Months?

I think if Honda starts stinking up the place I may not have much of a leg to stand on since the car is technically out of warranty, and "good faith" is probably impossible to make stick. So I need to find out how long they warranty the new motor (this sounds impossible). From there, since I'm assuming I'll have no docs on the motor's warranty, I'll look into pressing the extended warranty - but my concern is that if Honda says "get lost" that the Extended Warranty guys will say that if Honda won't cover it, neither will we...

Fun? What Fun?
Old 12-08-2004, 02:24 PM
cjl

STATUS UPDATE: Apparently the last motor was torn out because it spun a bearing - so the short block was replaced. No confirmation if it was a complete short block or just the block (but I'm assuming the former). What are normal causes for this?

$8200 nut for the new motor - should I set up a PayPal donations page now?

Quick Reply: One Blown Motor (Missing One Rod)