S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

One Blown Motor (Missing One Rod)

Old 12-04-2004, 02:39 AM
cjl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow One Blown Motor (Missing One Rod)

Hi All.

Bad news from SoCal where my MY01 apparently decided to take a long winters nap on me. Driving around under fairly moderate conditions (uphill, light acceleration around 5-6k RPMs) I noticed what at first sounded (to my untrained ear) like an exhaust leak coming from the back of the car. I had the top down so I cut the radio and listened. Speed up a little bit, noise gets louder and faster paced - slow down and the opposite happens
Old 12-04-2004, 03:47 AM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds like it should be covered by your extended warranty, and Matt is definitely the right person to talk to. Good luck, bro- let us know what happens.

-Pete
Old 12-04-2004, 07:21 AM

How many miles are on the engine since the overhaul and how much time has gone by? I've heard that most shops these days will guaranty major engine or transmission work for 12 months / 12k miles. If it's within those parameters, and they confirm a defect in the engine itself, they may repair it without having to fall back on the extended warranty, but it nice to have that in case they don't.

Please let us know what happens & Good luck!

Steve R.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you'll be covered. Just don't let Honda know that you didn't know about the new short block at first.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravenwerk,Dec 4 2004, 11:36 AM
Just don't let Honda know that you didn't know about the new short block at first.
No, you wouldn't want to be honest, would you? .

If a Honda dealer did the work, it will be in the service records anyway. I have had a lot more success in life by being up-front with people, especially with mechanics, some of whom can smell BS a mile away.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:35 PM
cjl

Intrepid: Well, there's been about 11 months and like 8k miles on the "new" short block. Matt seemed optimistic that Honda may cover it - but who knows until they tear it down.

Here's the big question though, if I get a new short block, do I keep this guy or sell it and buy another one? How about if they give me a whole new motor - then what?

I dropped the car off at Honda World today, and (as always) Matt was awesome on the phone. I think I may start a collection for Matt, collect some dough from fellow S owners and send him somewhere warm(er).
Old 12-04-2004, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by cjl,Dec 4 2004, 09:35 PM
Intrepid: Well, there's been about 11 months and like 8k miles on the "new" short block. Matt seemed optimistic that Honda may cover it - but who knows until they tear it down.

Here's the big question though, if I get a new short block, do I keep this guy or sell it and buy another one? How about if they give me a whole new motor - then what?
Well, we'll keep our fingers crossed!

On the "big question?" I think it will depend on what they find on the tear down. After that, how much to you trust the mechanics? The S2000 has proven, overall, to be a pretty reliable car, especially when you consider it's performance potential. We hear about these major engine problems from time to time but for the most part, they're not common issues. Whether you get a short block or a complete engine, it's likely that you'll not have any other problems with it assuming proper maintenance.

In the end, it's up to you. I know that doesn't help much but that's simply how it is. All I know is I don't envy you on this one.

Best of luck,
Steve R.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:06 PM
cjl

Yeah, I'd love to be able to drive a bit before I leave for the holidays to go back east to the snow, and would love to do the run on the 11th, but at this point, I think I'm lucky to see my car before Christmas. <sigh>

Am I the only one that gets depressed when they can't drive their S? I mean, mine is an everyday driver, and I literally get sad when I can't take it out for a spin.

What is break-in like for a new block and / or motor? Do you just want to put miles on it (like take a nice <5k rpm drive to Vegas) or is it more of a time/miles thing (like go easy on it for a couple weeks while you are tooling around LA)?

Thanks for your thoughts Steve. I'm just wondering if this is a good time to upgrade to an '03. I trust Matt and his guys immensely, and ultimately will do whatever they suggest.

- Sullen in Santa Monica
Old 12-06-2004, 12:23 AM

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

They should honor the warranty in their good faith consideration clause.
Be very nice, know exactly what was done before your car, and make sure you are the Honda service manager have an understanding.

If that does not work, you will need to contact Honda of America which will take 5 days to get back to you, no less.

They are worthless at helping, so you have to be cool, about it. The minute you get an attitude they give it right back and won't help at all.

If you get nowhere with them, you will have to write Honda of America's complaint address same place you called with your case # case manager name, times you called and the situation. Send 2 additional copies to the BBB and states attorney, requesting a written response within 30 days, or you will be forced to open a case with the BBB and states attorney.

Just be prepared if you don't get anywhere with the dealer of on the phone to be patient for a few months.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CoralDoc,Dec 4 2004, 06:17 PM
No, you wouldn't want to be honest, would you? .

If a Honda dealer did the work, it will be in the service records anyway. I have had a lot more success in life by being up-front with people, especially with mechanics, some of whom can smell BS a mile away.
What do you know of honesty with a presumptuous attitude like that? At no time did I suggest he be outright deceptive, just not forthcoming with his lack of knowledge of the new short block.
Being "upfront" with people has nothing to do with being sensible about "keeping your mouth shut" when the situation arises and God knows car dealerships are above reproach when it comes to "honesty".

Quick Reply: One Blown Motor (Missing One Rod)