S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

OMFG the clutch

Old 06-17-2012, 12:52 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Your shifting needs more finesse. Stop changing gear like you're on Best Motoring. Your drivetrain (and passenger) will appreciate it.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:48 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

So basically if you match perfectly the engine rpm with the road speed you will not be feeling the CDv intervene?
Old 06-17-2012, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

read this if you haven't
https://www.s2ki.com/home/2012/03/03...p2-drivetrain/
Old 06-17-2012, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mark355
Your shifting needs more finesse. Stop changing gear like you're on Best Motoring. Your drivetrain (and passenger) will appreciate it.
i know how to drive. and sometimes i want to drive with a certain amount of speed and acceleration. telling me to drive like my grandmother (RIP) does not alter the fact that the car slips, and it seems that the pressure plate is the main culprit, with the heavier flywheel a runner up. again, why not post something meaningful and helpful as opposed to something that does not put me or anyone closer to a solution??
Old 06-17-2012, 06:19 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vactor
Originally Posted by Mark355' timestamp='1339966376' post='21788980
i know how to drive.
Obviously NOT!
Old 06-17-2012, 06:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't listen to these haters bro. Its common knowledge the stock clutch and heavy ass Ap2 flywheel strait blow. These fanboys trying to tell you its your driving are damn insane. Order up a nice lightweight flywheel and clutch set, remove the cdv crap, and enjoy. I jerked the stock clutch out of my car about 3 months after I bought it new in 06. The combo of the heavy ass ap2 flywheel and small diameter weak sauce pressure plate makes for lots of high rpm slippage, lethargic revving, and just plain poor performance. I recommend an 11lb or lighter flywheel and whatever aftermarket clutch you like. Most any are an improvement over the stocker. I can promise you once you remove the lead weight flywheel and get the cdv out, you'll never go back. It really brings the car to life.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:56 AM
bdo

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

3 separate posts to rudely tell this guy that he "doesn't know how to drive," despite him posting intelligently and demonstrating that he does in fact have a clue? Pathetic.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by japhethwar
Don't listen to these haters bro. Its common knowledge the stock clutch and heavy ass Ap2 flywheel strait blow. These fanboys trying to tell you its your driving are damn insane. Order up a nice lightweight flywheel and clutch set, remove the cdv crap, and enjoy. I jerked the stock clutch out of my car about 3 months after I bought it new in 06. The combo of the heavy ass ap2 flywheel and small diameter weak sauce pressure plate makes for lots of high rpm slippage, lethargic revving, and just plain poor performance. I recommend an 11lb or lighter flywheel and whatever aftermarket clutch you like. Most any are an improvement over the stocker. I can promise you once you remove the lead weight flywheel and get the cdv out, you'll never go back. It really brings the car to life.
X2 Getting rid of the cdv will fix most of the clutch slip.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:02 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Until you change the flywheel, you will just need to get used to slowing down your shifts and smoothing things out. If you are used to being able to dump the clutch when the revs are still above road speed, it's just not going to work in this car. If you are letting the clutch out when the revs are matched, you will be able to go full throttle and not slip unless your clutch is already toasted. Also, if you screw up your shift and let it slip at full throttle, it may take some driving to clean up the clutch and get it to grab properly again. I'm not saying you are a bad driver, by any means. You're just rushing your shifts faster than the AP2 drivetrain is set up for. There's a reason a lot of AP2 owners swap flywheels the first time they replace the clutch.

Until then, focus on matching your revs and enjoy the car. The real speed in this car comes from the way it goes around corners.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:05 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by MBHs2k
Your experiencing the CDV. It purposely slips the clutch to take away some stress off the tranny and differential. The CDV can be removed, plenty of people have done it.

You are wrong. It is not the CDV. The CDV does not slip the clutch.

Quick Reply: OMFG the clutch