S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

OMFG the clutch!

Old 09-23-2011, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMFG the clutch!

argh. so i drive an '09 S2k with about 3000 miles on it. the amount of slip when i am shifting at redline is just retarded. the clutch simply does NOT grab! this cannot be the CDV, can it? i just don't see that 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 redline shifts with very aggressive driving, with over 250k stick shift miles and racing under his belt would all of a sudden have trouble with my S. i have searched, and it seems that it is EITHER the CDV (which seems to just add some minor delay to soften the clutch bite to prevent clutch dumps (by f@#king retards) at redline from destroying the rear diff.), but the amount of slip is just insane!!!!! or, is it just that the clutch, pp and flywheel package is not up to the rigors of redline hard shifts?? i need a solution and i need it stat!
Old 09-23-2011, 01:38 PM

Remove the CDV.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can remove the CDV two ways, play doctor on your current one for free or buy an early 00-03 slave cylinder and fix your cdv issue. BUT ap2's have a 22lb flyhweel so it still may slip some. only way around this is a ap1 flywheel upgrade. the stock ap1 is 14lbs, not 22lbs.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:40 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I experienced some pretty ridiculous slipping while going on a cruise with some friends and after that I decided to get an AP1 slave cylinder to eliminate the CDV. Since then I haven't noticed any slipping however I also haven't driven it as much with quick redline shifts lately. I can say it was worth doing just for the improvement in normal shifting though.

If I were you I'd eliminate the CDV then see how you feel. It's not an expensive fix (free if you just mod your AP2 slave cylinder). I'm also planning on getting an AP1 flywheel whenever I need to change my clutch but for now just the elimination of the CDV has improved my experience quite a bit.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:55 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I had the same problem until I bled my clutch. Bleed the clutch and see if it improves before taking parts off or replacing things.

Moving to Under the Hood.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:30 PM

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCelica
I had the same problem until I bled my clutch. Bleed the clutch and see if it improves before taking parts off or replacing things.

Moving to Under the Hood.
He would have to bleed the clutch when he takes out the CDV. Bleeding the clutch just to find out that didn't help on a 3000 mile old car and having to remove the CDV and bleed again is just more unnecessary work.

OP, Take the CDV out. That will cure your issue. If you remain redlining and not taking the cdv out, will cost you a new clutch.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:32 PM

yeah, i'll get on that in the next week or so. just gotta remember where the good thread on the cdv removal is. what a freaking fukkin joke of a design on a sports car. SMDH
Old 09-23-2011, 06:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It's really not that bad, I don't see why you guys make such a big deal out of it..

Your clutch will still slip a bit without the CDV because of the chump ass pressure plate from the ap1 combined with the heavy flywheel of the ap2
Old 09-23-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by JDMpearlwhyteZ
It's really not that bad, I don't see why you guys make such a big deal out of it..

Your clutch will still slip a bit without the CDV because of the chump ass pressure plate from the ap1 combined with the heavy flywheel of the ap2
so the overall solution seems to be, remove CDV, AP1 flywheel, and heavier duty PP .... well, at least one of those mods is inexpensive. heh.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If you get an ap1 flywheel you don't need a hd pressure plate..

Quick Reply: OMFG the clutch!