S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Old transmission fluid

Old 01-06-2014, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old transmission fluid

I read on other forums that changing old transmission fluid can cause the transmission to start slipping. Is this an issue with the manual transmissions found on the s2000? The car has 94000 miles and I'm unsure if the transmission fluid has ever been changed.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

About to change mine too. Which Amsoil MTF to get?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotpepsi
I read on other forums that changing old transmission fluid can cause the transmission to start slipping. Is this an issue with the manual transmissions found on the s2000? The car has 94000 miles and I'm unsure if the transmission fluid has ever been changed.
That shouldn't be a problem with the s2k transmission. That slipping deal you are talking about May happen with automatic transmissions,but not manual ones.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:53 AM

Why would it affect automatic transmissions but not manual transmissions? If the transmission fluid is so old, why has it not broken down yet and caused grinding or damage?
Old 01-06-2014, 02:41 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Why would it affect automatic transmissions but not manual transmissions? If the transmission fluid is so old, why has it not broken down yet and caused grinding or damage?
People are confusing trannies here. Old automatic trannies that have not had regular fluid changes can varnish up and sludge up. New auto tranny fluid has excellent cleaning properties which can dislodge old varnish and sludge which will plug orifices in the auto tranny system affecting hydraulic action.

Manual trannies have no hydraulic orifices to worry about, and varnish is less harmful and less likely. Old manual tranny fluid mostly suffers from shearing down and becoming very thin, not nearly as much heat related issues as auto trannies. You might notice notchiness as manual tranny fluid shears with age, grinding would only be in extreme neglect cases but it might be possible. I think there is less chance of damage though compared to an auto tranny. Often the issue with manual trannies can be corrected when the fluid is changed, auto trannies may need to be rebuilt or entirely replaced when neglected.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kevinS2OOO
About to change mine too. Which Amsoil MTF to get?

This is the Amsoil MTF you need.

\rlr
carolina
Attached Thumbnails Old transmission fluid-mtf.jpg  
Old 01-06-2014, 05:00 AM

Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30 is what I just used yesterday (just like in that pic above). Dont forget about the fluid in your rear differential either.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Symptoms are manifested in automatic transmissions differently than manuals but in both cases shift quality deteriorates with inadequate lubricant. With autos the failure feels like slipping as shifts are delayed or fail and with a manuals it causes difficulty getting into gear with some grinding as synchros become less effective.

Different transmission and different usage place varying demand on lubricants so change schedule will very greatly. Generally the S2000 transmission lube needs relatively frequent replacement for good performance.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:22 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

what kind of driving are you doing? if it's running around town and occasional track days I would use the honda oem mtf fluids.

On my cars that see mostly track driving I use Motul Gear 300 and Motul Gear 300 LS (for the diff)
Old 01-06-2014, 04:51 PM

Ill be changing out the transmission fluid tomorrow if I can find someone that will lend me their jack stands. I will be using Honda MTF. What is the weight of this fluid? The containers that I see on the internet is gray with a green label and red band across the top that says, "Honda Genuine HG". Here is the link below:
https://www.google.com/search?q=hond...F%3B852%3B1136
Is this the only fluid that Honda provides?
What should my old fluid look like?

Quick Reply: Old transmission fluid