S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Old school "new" MTF in S2000

Old 08-17-2010, 05:40 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by slipstream444,Aug 17 2010, 08:56 PM
Amsoil MTF with 95-100F southern heat - no problems.
The trans is smooth from start to finish.

In the colder months I typically have to double-clutch from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd for the first couple of shifts - when the temps get into the 50's F. I have to do this regardless of whether I'm running Amsoil MTF or Honda MTF II. Summertime temps - that's not a problem.

INTJ - mixing two very different fluids is never a good idea. They may be "compatible" - but that certainly doesn't mean they'll work together beneficially.
Amsoil specifically states that you loose all benefit of their fluid if you mix it with other fluids. Their tech services specifically state it's not a good idea, and Amsoil will not warranty against oil related failures if their fluid is mixed with another fluid.
So unless you're a chemical engineer that's done extensive tests - and know exactly what you're doing - it's a bad idea.
Additive packages many times do not compliment each other. Stick with one fluid.
well for some strange reason one of the "fixes" for 2nd gear pop-out issues has been to mix 50 percent Amsoil MTF and 50 percent Honda MTF. Many owners with that problem have addressed it with this concoction. I have no idea why it works but I guess for someone that has the tranny problem it's a no-brainer.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:51 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by INDYMAC,Aug 17 2010, 06:57 PM
I took another short drive today (25 miles). It was about 94-96F outside and sunny. I didn't try to perform any acrobatic feats this time. But I'm getting more comfortable with the 10W-30 in there and I'm shifting more confidently. I'm not worried about whether I made a mistake or not anymore. It doesn't feel as easy to shift as MTF II, but the shift feels sure and good. The tranny doesn't feel as fragile and temperamental as it was getting to feel with the thin MTF II, especially 2nd gear. I'm wondering if the higher HTHS of the Schaeffers oil isn't helping the synchro's accept the shift, or maybe the additives are helping to heal my getting worn 2nd gear synchro's.

Anyways, all is good so far...but still early.
Indy, I really hate when you have a tranny that you have to think about whether or not you are going to get a good shift. One of my last cars was like that and I tried various fluids trying to find the elusive worry-free shift. It can drive you crazy if you think about it too much.

If you have 2nd gear that may seem to be wearing worse than other gears have you given any thought to adjusting the clutch rod. I found that it helped me quite a bit in terms of getting my shift timing perfected.

It seemed like my hand would shift faster than my foot would fully engage the clutch pedal. I lengthened the rod a touch, so the disengagement point hits a bit higher when you push down on the clutch pedal. That kind of gives you a bit more time between the point where the clutch is fully disengaged and you shift into gear, sometimes it can lead to a smoother shift. I just found that it helped in my situation.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the clutch rod tip JFUSION. I'm pretty happy with my clutch engage/disengagement point right now. It's about 3/4 up. Any higher and I think it would feel too awkward when I let the clutch out.

Slipstream- Thanks for the AMS MTF review. I also agree with your assessment of mixing fluids. I did try a AMS MTF/MTG 60/40 mix a couple of years ago and it was bad from start to finish (1000 miles). I should have just tried one at a time for a better evaluation.

I know that the 04MY has a TSB for the tranny popping out of gear (2nd?), and it was also the first MY for the carbon fiber coated synchro's. So I'm trying to be as careful as possible on how creative I get with experimenting with fluids. My car has popped out of gear maybe 4-5 times in the last couple of years, but it was 1st gear only. Since it doesn't happen all the time, I'm chalking it up to operator error for now. I have a 100K mile extended warranty just in case things deteriorate though.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran the Schaeffers exclusively for two years prior to switching to Amsoil MTF mainly because I switched to Amsoil motor oil (5W-40).

I predict you will have no issues and longer change intervals.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:38 AM

That's good news Raymo. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:44 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION,Aug 17 2010, 07:40 PM
well for some strange reason one of the "fixes" for 2nd gear pop-out issues has been to mix 50 percent Amsoil MTF and 50 percent Honda MTF. Many owners with that problem have addressed it with this concoction. I have no idea why it works but I guess for someone that has the tranny problem it's a no-brainer.
I've experimented with the Amsoil MTF and Honda MTF II mix before due to slightly better cold weather operation of the Honda MTF II and the better "hot" shifting characteristics of the Amsoil MTF. It worked fairly well, but ultimately resulted in 1-2 grinds when the fluid had more than a couple thousand miles on it and the transmission was hot - and the mixture pretty much took on the characteristics of Honda MTF II in that the fluid quickly degraded in shift quality as Honda MTF II did. I decided the cold weather solution was to double-clutch for the first couple of shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 when using the Amsoil MTF. The Amsoil simply performed much better for much longer. I have an 04 AP2 trans in my 03, so I've been paying attention for signs of that TSB problem. Nothing as of yet.

Anyway, Honda MTF and Amsoil MTF are fairly close in additive package formulation - with the Amsoil additive package being much more robust. The big difference is the Group IV base formulation of the Amsoil.

I believe Redline Transmission fluids are Group V base - although please check me on this. If that's the case, I wouldn't suggest mixing a Group IV and Group V fluids. I used Redline in my original transmission with no benefit. It works fine for some transmissions, but I don't see any advantage running an expensive fluid that demonstrates no benefit for the cost - and actually underperforms other fluids.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread.

I've been running Supreme 7000 10w30 in my tranny for approx 1.5 years with nearly 9000 miles on it, and have loved it.

I had an 02 before and I think this tranny feels better than my last car's (current car is an '00). The 1-2 shift feels great.

My friend sells shaeffers products and thats all I run in my S2000. I dont really get any kind of hookup, other than free sample kits, and its not expensive at all.

Its funny, I posted up in some kind of MTF thread once and people were shitting bricks when I told them I was running a motor oil in my tranny.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:31 AM

More good news Nate. Thanks for posting.

I don't feel like such a pioneer now!
Old 09-07-2010, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update?
Old 09-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Really interesting thread here. Subscribed.

Quick Reply: Old school "new" MTF in S2000