S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Okay.. I have heard that there is a recall on 2001's

Old 04-22-2002, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay.. I have heard that there is a recall on 2001's

Has anyone else heard about this? There is supposed to be something wrong with the Clutch.. I have a friend in the Bay Area that told me there is one. His friend took his in and they are replacing the clutch under a recall.. I guess that I could call my Honda Dealer on this one but I am in Bend, Or.. heh heh.. I would be surprised if they have ever had one in their shop other than to do an oil change.. I guess that I could take it to the Bay area since I am driving down next month.. If anyone can shed some light on this, I would appreciate it..

-Cornfish

"FEEEECHE" - Sega Bass Fishing
Old 04-22-2002, 05:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The clutch? NAHHHHHHH

Gee why would it be the clutch . . . ?

seriously though, I only have an '00 but that TSB is as old as the car itself. Check it out in the library.

Or search for 'clutch' Im sure there is hours of reading around here on that topic
Old 04-22-2002, 06:01 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cmnsnse
[B]The clutch? NAHHHHHHH

Gee why would it be the clutch . . . ?

seriously though, I only have an '00 but that TSB is as old as the car itself. Check it out in the library.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:06 PM

its not a recall....they arent sending out recall notices....but its just a technical service bulletin...so basically if you have a buzzing noise in your clutch plate during deceleration usually in 3rd gear between 3-4rpms...you could get it fixed....its not a defect or anything...its just that the plate makes a noise....but from what i hear...alot of people say that the average life of that clutch is 10-12K miles...but after you get it fixed...it shoudl be ok....they just go in and replace ur clutch disk...which basically means a new clutch...if you do do the tsb-54....just remember you gotta break in your clutch all over again....
Old 04-23-2002, 04:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by S2KHardTop
alot of people say that the average life of that clutch is 10-12K miles
I'd certainly disagree. There's a lot of folks who use the car for daily driving and various forms of racing that haven't even come close to replacing the clutch. I have >20k miles on now with over a year's worth of autocrossing (meaning some form of high RPM launch) with no problem. If you abuse the clutch (race every car you are next to at a stop light) I could believe short life but then you shouldn't be driving that way on the street.

If you're gonna drag race, you probably want to upgrade the clutch in the first place. But then you still need to watch out for diffs and transmission problems...
Old 04-24-2002, 05:08 PM

Well, took my S2k in to the dealer today to get an oil change and told them about the TSB and to check out my car because that noise is quite loud.. After a few hours, they called me back saying that the Mechanic agrees and they ordered a new clutch plate for the car. It should be in end of next week. Cool, well I just wanted to let everyone know who has a 2001 to take it in when you have a chance and get it looked at.. It will most likely be worth it. That is if you hear that noise (kind of like a rattle especially while the car is winding down from 5k-2k rpms. Any rpm higher than that you can't hear anything anyway.. heh)
Old 04-24-2002, 08:40 PM

i don't mind the noise and hate the dealer, is there any risk with just leaving itl.
Old 04-24-2002, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by osu s2k
i don't mind the noise and hate the dealer, is there any risk with just leaving itl.
Nope. It is free under warranty though.
Old 04-24-2002, 11:31 PM

actually, during the warranty job on my car, they broke my knock sensor and my starter..!!
is there any risk? to me there is, even tho it is all covered by warranty..but... still, if i had known this, I won't do it ...!! but it is too late to say it now..!!