S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil under the hood? Time to panic?

Old 08-14-2003, 04:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oil under the hood? Time to panic?

This showed up very recently. The car did have the oil changed last week, and I didn't see this then, but I should mention it. The engine has never been cleaned and it has 4,200 miles on it.

Anyhow, I popped the hood looking for the mysterious "rattle" problem, and I noticed some oil spray droplets on the valve cover. Then I noticed spray on the heat shield and headers. I got home and it still has the "grime" along the gasket, but it is only on the passenger side (exhaust side) of the engine, with most of it near the frontmost cylinder.

My coworkers and I initially suspected a sloppy oil change job, but the dealer changes the oil from the bottom of the car. The area around the oil fill cap has oil residue, but I am at a loss how the splatters are concentrated in the area they are in. Here's the photos:

So what's the verdict? Sloppy oil change or leaky gasket under the valve cover?
Old 08-14-2003, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not a leaky gasket.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by boiler
That's not a leaky gasket.
That's a relief. So I guess I should at the dealer? The spray droplets are what was causing the concern, they were concentrated around the one corner of the engine (that's the most dirty of course).
Old 08-14-2003, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The mechanic may have a had a big fan blowing on him when he started adding the oil and fan could have blown some oil around. Looks to me like the fan was blowing across from the driver's side. You might do a quick check to make sure the vent hose is secured into the valve cover though.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Boit
[B]The mechanic may have a had a big fan blowing on him when he started adding the oil and fan could have blown some oil
Old 08-15-2003, 07:47 AM

Well, it was back at the dealer today, I showed them the engine and they told me pretty much what I expected: a sloppy oil change.

The service manager pointed out that quite a bit of oil "missed" the oil fill hole on the engine and is staining the valve cover.

They did ask me where I had it done, and the service manager wasn't all that pleased when I told them they did it the previous week.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:53 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally posted by rworne
Well, it was back at the dealer today, I showed them the engine and they told me pretty much what I expected: a sloppy oil change.

The service manager pointed out that quite a bit of oil "missed" the oil fill hole on the engine and is staining the valve cover.

They did ask me where I had it done, and the service manager wasn't all that pleased when I told them they did it the previous week.
LOL!!!! That will teach him to criticize other peoples work before he finds out where it was done.
Old 08-15-2003, 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

serves 'em right!
Old 08-15-2003, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check your filter too....there have been issues with peoples filters coming loose, and some to the point of starting a fire because it came loose while driving!
Old 08-15-2003, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by Johnny--2K
check your filter too....there have been issues with peoples filters coming loose, and some to the point of starting a fire because it came loose while driving!
I saw the filter yesterday and today. It's clean and the car isn't dropping any fluids.

Quick Reply: Oil under the hood? Time to panic?