S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Temp. and Pressure Sensors: Mounting Advice Needed

Old 01-07-2004, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This issue is still live, but we've been busy finalizing the design of the integrated oil cooler-radiator and have been distracted by other things. Hopefully, we'll finish the design soon.

I'm convinced by the argument that it makes sense to buy the oil manifold and to use it to send oil to the turbo, to mount the oil pressure sending switch, and to mount oil temperature and oil pressure sensors. That seems the best approach overall.

The next challenge is to figure out what to use in order to measure oil temperature and oil pressure. Does anyone know where to buy sensors that can be used by the EMS? I've not found anything thus far, and that's the last stumbling block.

Thanks,
CB
Old 01-07-2004, 03:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cbender
This issue is still live, but we've been busy finalizing the design of the integrated oil cooler-radiator and have been distracted by other things.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:45 PM

CJB80 just mentioned to me that there's not enough oil flow to get an accurate oil temperature reading from the oil manifold. Given that, perhaps it's better to mount the sensors in the oil filter relocation kit ports and to use the oil manifold to feed the turbo and to mount the oil pressure sending switch? Any thoughts?

Vapors, the EMS will read the signals from most any temperature/pressure sensor PROVDED you have a calibration table. But I'd like to find someone who's actually done this so that I don't go trying out sensors only to find that they won't fit or they require voltages I can't provide or something along those lines. Also, I don't want to have to buy the gauge just to get the sensor, as I really don't want to mount anything else on my dash and using the EMS for datalogging works great on the track.

CB
Old 01-07-2004, 05:36 PM

http://www.chrisdrivesafastcar.com/gallery...php?category=16

Pics of oil temp and water temp probes installed.

Chris
Old 01-08-2004, 12:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cbender
CJB80 just mentioned to me that there's not enough oil flow to get an accurate oil temperature reading from the oil manifold.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:59 AM

and weld a bung in your oil pan for the temp sensor!!!
Old 01-08-2004, 05:01 AM

Greddy sells an oil drain bolt which is tapped and you can put it in there...

Chris
Old 01-08-2004, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by cjb80
Greddy sells an oil drain bolt which is tapped and you can put it in there...

Chris
VDO sensors come with a similar adapter.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:54 PM

Okay, okay, okay, I'm coming to the conclusion that all of you are right, and I've been dragging my feet. It seems as if the optimal solution is:

1a. Run a line from the oil pressure sending unit port on the block to the strut tower brace. Mount my existing t-fitting there to feed oil to the turbo and the oil pressure sending unit.

1b. If I can find an oil pressure sensor that'll work with the EMS, then the next step would be to buy the oil manifold and to use that for all three devices -- oil line to turbo, oil pressure sending unit, and oil pressure sensor. Alternatively, I might be able to mount this using one of the ports in the oil filter relocation kit.

2. Buy the GReddy drain bolt and mount an oil temperature sensor there.

3. Install the integrated radiator/oil cooler -- perhaps modifying the design enough to run a cold air intake for the turbo either around it or through it somehow. While the intercooler does a great job of cooling the charge, there's a lot to be said for starting with cooler air before compressing it.

4. Mount the oil filter relocation kit on the engine-side of the brace that crosses the engine just behind the radiator (the filter is now mounted on the radiator-side of the same brace). CJB says it'll fit there, but I haven't checked it myself.

Now, the only question is where to buy the sensors. I'd still like to find someone who's actually wired these into their EMS's so I know for certain they'll work.

Any final feedback, my friends?

CB
Old 08-12-2007, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok I know this thread is OLD but it somewhat is the question I am facing so I am bringing it back from the dead! I have an oil temp / oil pressure gauge that I want to install the senders for and want to know the best way to do so... I am going turbo in about a month and so will need a place to run my oil feed to the turbo lines from as well... any advances in thinking and or methods since the last post in this thread? send pics of your setups and any helpful info you can think of... thanks so much!

I'm also installing a Fuel Pressure / boost pressure gauge any tips on installing those senders would be helpful as well!

Quick Reply: Oil Temp. and Pressure Sensors: Mounting Advice Needed