S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Suggestion

Old 02-19-2011, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just did my oil change and will soon be sending my RP sample to blackstone. hopefully that will give and everyone else a good answer.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:04 AM
VAD

Can't argue with the numbers.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbth...t&Number=920620
Old 02-20-2011, 04:32 AM

Red face

VAD, that's a pretty good analysis, but you don't learn much from analysis done under 2,700 miles ... and most of that was highway use (by your own admission).

Just about any oil and filter will give you good service for such a short interval. Heck, you don't even need a synthetic ... a mineral will do well. Take a look at one for my Honda Civic:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee149/B...OA_10-10-09.jpg

Yes, the oil I used was the humble Pennzoil Yellow Bottle (PYB) mineral oil and the interval was nearly 6,500 miles and the car sees frequent short trips (I have a short commute).

One of the things you want to look for in an ideal oil/engine match-up is less than 1ppm of iron per 1,000 miles (assuming iron-lined cylinders, of course). This is a high standard ... but when you have this (or very close) you know you really have an ideal combo.

When someone buys RP, they are paying (heavily!) for silly bling ... and that lasts mere minutes in the engine and as long as it takes to dispose of the empty purple bottles with the crown on label. You know the stuff is good because they call it "royal" and put a crown on the bottle.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:44 AM
VAD

I know RP is a little trendy/blingy/gimmicky/whatever. I knew in 2004 when I started using it in the S that I would be a bit of a guinea pig for RP usage. Admittedly, my driving is pretty conservative; usually about 2-3000 miles per year, a track day or autocross if I'm lucky. But since I've been using it for so long, I'll keep doing so and if I ever have a failure due to its usage, I'll report it for what it is.

Honestly, if I could start over knowing then what I know now, I would most likely use Pennzoil Platinum in everything I own. I'm not a brand fanboy. I use PP, M1, and Valvoline Synpower in my other cars with good results. I think it's great that we have so many good choices out there.

RP is a good oil and has its place in our overall selection. The constant bashing gets old after a while.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:45 AM

Understood VAD. It's certainly seems to be working OK for you.

"The constant bashing gets old after a while."

Yes, I use to be an out-and-out basher of RP. I have a degree in marketing and the way the stuff is marketed (bling/gimmicks/silly sponsorships) really rubs me the wrong way. I had my share of flame wars in the past but usually do not bother to comment on it anymore.

I also used to be an Amsoil basher ... mostly because the users and sellers I ran into seemed to be some sort of weird cultists. I have come to know that Amsoil products, while not exactly miraculous, are actually solid performers.

I also used to be a big fan of Red Line Oil. But after a decade of personal use and reading dozens of lackluster UOAs, I now choose other brands.

I just hate to see folks (usually kids or other newbs) fall for marketing razzle-dazzle without considering what quality really means.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:15 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

so, bling aside, is RP a good quality?
locally here it's cheaper than Valvoline and Mobile1.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:14 PM
VAD

Cheaper than Valvoline and M1?!?!?!?! Wow, that's a first. I'd recommend trying it, submit a sample for analysis, and go from there.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:18 PM
VAD

Here's another one I've always been curious to try:

http://www.le-inc.com/productPages.jsp?productID=214
Old 02-20-2011, 12:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

honestly i don't like to try suspicious stuff on my car.

top lines of Shell and Castrol are not available locally.
so currently i put Valvoline full synth which i hope is good enough for S...
Old 02-20-2011, 12:22 PM
VAD

No worries using Valvoline. They're often under-rated and overlooked, IMO.

Quick Reply: Oil Suggestion