S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Suggestion

Old 01-28-2011, 04:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Suggestion

I am due for an oil change and wanted to know what you guys thought using Royal Purple with 95,xxx miles. I do not know what the owner before me used, hence this is my first oil change on this car. I read an article on all of the oils and tests and Royal Purple checked out on the top of the list with micro polishing addings in the oil to polish your internals for longevity. I have used Royal purple before in my 92 civic H22A and it was fine and actually restored lost power, you could feel the HP back and all, so I know that the oil is great. I have been using Royal Purples oil filter also which lasts up to 10,000 miles so I can use it up to 2 oil changes if I were to go that route. Anything I should consider before using RP? First hand experiences for the s2000?
Old 01-28-2011, 04:30 AM

Here it is fellas! The Tell of all tales!

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf
Old 01-28-2011, 05:28 AM

Received 212 Likes on 146 Posts

I hear enough stuff about RP to just stay away from it - plenty of other "great" oils out there without the baggage but that's just me.

As for that test you posted, the Timken is designed to test extreme pressure performance of an oil - mainly a test for bearings for example vs other parts - at any rate, extreme pressure is only one aspect of what oil faces inside an engine, so don't take it as a comprehensive test.

The industry standard I believe is to test the Timken OK to 35#ft for motor oil (higher for greases and such) and is either a pass or fail type test - the test was testing to 75#ft, or twice normal operating ranges for motor oil, so I'm not sure how meaningful it is for everyday use. I guess its a good example of why you should use the correct weight oil vs light...
Old 01-28-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Jan 28 2011, 06:28 AM
I hear enough stuff about RP to just stay away from it - plenty of other "great" oils out there without the baggage but that's just me.
That is just you.

Royal Purple is top quality stuff. No complaints here.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by F22C,Jan 28 2011, 06:36 AM
That is just you.

Royal Purple is top quality stuff. No complaints here.
I couldn't agree with you more because of this article I am a firm believer of RP, but as stated in the first post, I am subjected to think twice for a car with almost near the 100,000 mile mark and just don't want the motor to start eating oil if I use Royal Purple.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:23 AM

Received 212 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr._ap1,Jan 28 2011, 11:02 AM
I couldn't agree with you more because of this article I am a firm believer of RP, but as stated in the first post, I am subjected to think twice for a car with almost near the 100,000 mile mark and just don't want the motor to start eating oil if I use Royal Purple.
Well, if you are a firm believer in RP because of this article, you need to be warned - this is a test about EP, something more important to grease, not motor oil, and it is one test, not a battery that would really tell you how a motor oil performs in an engine. This test doesn't actually tell you anything about how RP actually would hold up and perform in an engine, just under a high pressure situation. I'm not aware of any normal engine that needs EP protection up to 295,000 psi.

I'm not looking to condemn RP, but I don't think this is the test to propose its use. As far as EP goes, while I hate to counter marketing spiel with more of the same, I'll post this caveat that mentions that excessive EP can be corrosive to an engine. Maybe this is why most engine oils have such a different EP rating than RP?

Question:
Oil Film Strength of Mobil 1 Compared with Royal Purple
Does Mobil 1 have less oil film strength than Royal Purple? I have seen many times the friction test of oils using the machine that test the oil film, test result shows that Royal Purple has more friction protection that Mobil 1 does, seeing these results makes me think that Mobil 1 is lacking some benefits, therefore Royal Purple has the better protection of all.
-- Guillermo Tristani, Miami, OR
Answer:
There are certain oils in the market today that use EP (extreme pressure) additives in their engine oil that are really designed for gear oils and not engine oils. Extreme pressure additives are typically not used in engine oils for a number of reasons but the most important is because they can cause engine corrosion over time. The rigs being used in these demonstrations are primarily designed for industrial applications like gear oils where extreme pressure is an important performance feature you need. These demonstration rigs have very little to do with modern engines and that is the reason that market leading oils in the industry perform poorly in these tests.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorO...m_Strength.aspx

I'd me more interested in the results of a set of UOAs as they will give you an idea of how the oil is holding up in the engine. I don't have any bias against RP, I just don't have any recommendation for it (or other oils) either. There are standards that must be met, and all brands meet them - the rest is mostly marketing hype to stand out from the crowd.

Is RP a great oil? Who knows, but I doubt it will kill your engine. Is it worth the price vs other oils? That's up to you, same goes for OCIs.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use pennzoil platinum. It's always on sale and UOA's prove it's a GREAT oil.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:26 AM
.MM

Royal purple sucks
Old 01-28-2011, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saki is right, the article tells you nothing. The Timken test isn't a valid means for testing motor oils. It's a gimmick that has plagued infomercials for years.

I'm sure RP is a fine product, but you aren't really doing yourself any favors running it, other than making your wallet lighter. Stick to the Pennzoil, Valvoline, Mobil, etc., save some money, and call it a day.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F22C,Jan 28 2011, 06:36 AM
That is just you.
No, it's not. Try searching.

Quick Reply: Oil Suggestion