S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil on spark plugs and coil packs

Old 12-04-2010, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil on spark plugs and coil packs

Hey all,

Today I adjusted the valves on my S, and when I pulled out the coil packs, there was oil on all four of them. Since there was oil on the coil packs, I decided to check the spark plugs, and when I pulled them out, the threads were soaked in oil.

I'm not sure if this is a related issue, but I thought it would be best to mention any problems I have had with the car recently -

I did have an issue with the car a couple months ago, where I got a CEL, and they were for a cam sensor, and tdc sensor.

The problem was that the bolt for one of the cam sensors came off, and the sensor wasn't pushed in all the way. Since the sensor was missing a bolt, it looks like oil came out of the opening for the cam sensor and got all over the engine bay.

However, I don't think oil coming out of the hole for the cam sensor can get into the coil packs since they have seals on the top of them.

Does anyone have any idea why there is oil on my coil packs and spark plugs?

I also noticed today, the spark plug from cylinder number 4 has signs of detonation. What can cause this?

I have posted some pictures below -

Spark plug from cylinder number 4:

Oil in spark plug hole:

Oil on spark plug when I pulled it out:

Old 12-04-2010, 06:10 PM

You need new well tube gaskets, also known as spark plug tube gaskets. When you took your valve cover off there are 4 gaskets seated in it that go around each tube for the spark plug. Replace them and your good.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by bradskee,Dec 4 2010, 07:10 PM
You need new well tube gaskets, also known as spark plug tube gaskets. When you took your valve cover off there are 4 gaskets seated in it that go around each tube for the spark plug. Replace them and your good.
I will pick some up. This was my first time pulling the valve cover off since I bought the car, and I didn't see them. I guess the guy I bought it from didn't put them back on.

What about the spark plug on the 4th cylinder? Is there evidence of detonation in that cylinder?
Old 12-04-2010, 11:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

#4 looks like it's running normal from what I can tell from the picture. Look for white/silverish flakes.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrpoopiehead,Dec 5 2010, 12:30 AM
I guess the guy I bought it from didn't put them back on.
did you replace the valve cover gasket before reinstalling?
If so, the valve cover gasket should had came with some o-ring gaskets.

often time the o-rings get stuck to valve cover. without those gaskets, the leak is going to be pretty bad.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by hrpfg2,Dec 5 2010, 10:00 AM
did you replace the valve cover gasket before reinstalling?
If so, the valve cover gasket should had came with some o-ring gaskets.

often time the o-rings get stuck to valve cover. without those gaskets, the leak is going to be pretty bad.
No, I didnt replace the valve cover gasket. Does anyone have the part number for the valve gasket and the o rings ? I definitely didnt see any of the o rings when I pulled off the valve cover.

What is the white crap thats on the spark plug ?
Old 12-05-2010, 04:09 PM

I dont have the part number but its pretty simple. Just go to Honda and ask for valve cover gasket for a S2 and make sure its the valve cover gasket "kit" that way the o rings will be included.

white residue on plugs usually mean its running lean.
it is only on one cylinder?
Old 12-05-2010, 07:43 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

you had a big oil leak there. If the oil under the coil cover got heavy enough it would seep into the plug wells, the coils will seal out dust and dirt but they aren't watertight. I couldnt imagine an engine running very long without spark plug tube gaskets, they must be under the valvecover, otherwise that would be a major fubar. The number 4 plug seems to have some deposits on it, likely related to the oil leak.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:25 AM

where are you located? i have a gasket set sitting on my tool box..
Old 12-06-2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by hrpfg2,Dec 5 2010, 05:09 PM
I dont have the part number but its pretty simple. Just go to Honda and ask for valve cover gasket for a S2 and make sure its the valve cover gasket "kit" that way the o rings will be included.

white residue on plugs usually mean its running lean.
it is only on one cylinder?
I want to bring a print out to the local dealership so I can have them price match to online prices.

Yeah, it was only on cylinder #4. Should I be worried about this?

Quick Reply: Oil on spark plugs and coil packs