S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil on Spark Plugs

Old 04-19-2013, 06:16 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

listen to the man.....the man is xviper
I agree, they dont look out of character
Old 04-19-2013, 07:40 PM
Community Organizer

Received 553 Likes on 505 Posts

Xviper and SillyB, if you guys think those look normal, you have a real diminished idea of what a good running F motor looks like. When was the last time you checked your plugs?

There is obviously oil contamination on the plug, which shouldn't be there. (the one on far right has me really concerned) Whether its isolated to just the tube seals, or is burning it, I cant verify from the poor pics, but I'm not encouraged by what we can see. Especially considering the OP already verified its high oil consumption issues. The S uses oil, some more then others and some none at all. Ive had 4 different motors in my car over its life to current, and in my experience, if there is actually signs of oil residue at the tip, its consumption rate is highly excessive, and warrants a comp and leak down test and to start monitoring how much oil is used per 1k miles.

OP, verify that your tube seals are not leaking, if they are replace them. Replace your spark plugs and start tracking your oil usage, if your burning one Quart or more per 1k miles, Honda has deemed your usage is excessive and warrants some testing as mentioned. I burn 1/3-1/2 quart per 1 k miles depending, and my plugs show no signs of oil burning, they are light tan in color as they should be, and dry. Keep us posted.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Xviper and SillyB, if you guys think those look normal, you have a real diminished idea of what a good running F motor looks like. When was the last time you checked your plugs?
Nope, just 13 years of looking at plugs from over a dozen S2000s of different years. Some burn oil, some don't. Oil on plug threads is of little concern. Oil (not to be confused with carbon build-up) on the tips is a different story. OP, if you wanna freak out over oil on the threads, then by all means, please tear your engine apart to find the cause. But I might suggest you do compression and leak down and track your oil consumption before you rip it all apart on the basis of someone's internet expertise.
BTW, I check my plugs every 8000 to 10,000 kms and I've checked S2000s with nearly 200,000 kms and if those were my plugs, I would not be concerned but then, I'm a nobody and I don't know a thing.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:11 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by xviper
Originally Posted by s2000Junky' timestamp='1366429203' post='22486624
Nope, just 13 years of looking at plugs from over a dozen S2000s of different years. Some burn oil, some don't. Oil on plug threads is of little concern. Oil (not to be confused with carbon build-up) on the tips is a different story. OP, if you wanna freak out over oil on the threads, then by all means, please tear your engine apart to find the cause. But I might suggest you do compression and leak down and track your oil consumption before you rip it all apart on the basis of someone's internet expertise.
BTW, I check my plugs every 8000 to 10,000 kms and I've checked S2000s with nearly 200,000 kms and if those were my plugs, I would not be concerned but then, I'm a nobody and I don't know a thing.
Ok so rather then your previous position of 'its fine', you agree with me then on my recommendation of mapping oil consumption and performing a leak down and comp test. Being completely dismissive based on those particular pictures, is should I say Careless? At minimum his tube seals are bad, yet no where did I see in your post recommending to replace these. Why? You know people will listen to what you say, why not say something valuable in this thread, or maybe don't bother posting?

No where did I say tear into the motor

Instead of feeling the need to displaying your ego, why don't you knock it off and just be helpful instead?
Old 04-19-2013, 08:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Ok so rather then your previous position of 'its fine', you agree with me then on my recommendation of mapping oil consumption and performing a leak down and comp test. Being completely dismissive based on those particular pictures, is should I say Careless? At minimum his tube seals are bad, yet no where did I see in your post recommending to replace these. Why? You know people will listen to what you say, why not say something valuable in this thread, or maybe don't bother posting?

Instead of feeling the need to displaying your ego, why don't you knock it off and just be helpful instead?
I'm not saying that at all. I still think his plugs are nothing to worry about. (I didn't use the word "fine". You did.) All I said was if he's freaking out about it and don't know who to listen to, that he should take some steps to insure he's not doing a bunch of work for nothing.

Oh and before you changed your post that used to read: "You off your game or what?"
My answer is after 13 years of dealing with idiots on this forum who want to show off their mental muscle and take me down a notch, I simply don't give a f*ck. I'm no longer justifying anything nor am I going to prove anything or feel I have to back anything up. Listen to me, don't listen to me. You wanna challenge me, go ahead. Have a great 1 person battle. I'm outa here.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They look like my plugs when I did my valve adjustment.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:09 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by xviper
Originally Posted by s2000Junky' timestamp='1366431116' post='22486639

I'm not saying that at all. I still think his plugs are nothing to worry about. (I didn't use the word "fine". You did.) All I said was if he's freaking out about it and don't know who to listen to, that he should take some steps to insure he's not doing a bunch of work for nothing.

Oh and before you changed your post that used to read: "You off your game or what?"
My answer is after 13 years of dealing with idiots on this forum who want to show off their mental muscle and take me down a notch, I simply don't give a f*ck. I'm no longer justifying anything nor am I going to prove anything or feel I have to back anything up. Listen to me, don't listen to me. You wanna challenge me, go ahead. Have a great 1 person battle. I'm outa here.
I'm just here to give my input, since I have a little experience and knowledge as well

At least I showed the courtesy to back off on you. Later
Old 04-22-2013, 06:06 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Get Billman in here stat!
Old 04-22-2013, 06:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Switchblade
Get Billman in here stat!
LOL Yea that would be a conversation worth reading!
Old 04-22-2013, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for those who care i ordered spark plug seals and a valve cover gasket. im going to change them some evening this week

Quick Reply: Oil on Spark Plugs