S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Problem

Old 02-16-2006, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would changing it at 3k cause you to consume more oil that if you were to have changed it at 3,750 miles

Again, I'm confused

I dont know i listed it as something i did (Listed all teh factors) so anyone who may have insight know exactly all th factors when i did the oil change.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the reason you are confused is because of the fact that ONE has NOTHING TO DO with THE OTHER.

your oil consumption did NOT go up because you changed the oil at 3000 miles instead of 3750.

this is what we need to know.

first, what was the mileage on your LAST oil change.

and second, what was the mileage when you noticed you were down to the last 2 x's on the dip stick? (fyi that means you were not even down a full quart)
Old 02-16-2006, 09:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check for an oil leak (around gasket to oil filter, oil fill cap gasket or drain plug and on your driveway or garage floor for evidence of a leak). If no leak, fill to the top X (don't overfill) on your dip stick with the same oil you used before on the oil change. Monitor for any oil usage at each and every gas fill up like the manual says.
AP2's (2.2L) don't use any oil. If you find yourself adding any oil after you check for leaks and refill, take it to the dealer and tell them what's happening. You do have a problem if it continues to drop on the dipstick. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you don't seem to check your oil, is it possible that the oil level was low from the begining of the FIRST oil change and you have infact not lost any oil at all?

**edit** I see you did your own oil change.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as it's within the XXs, you should be ok.. granted I wouldn't run around with oil near the bottom, but it shouldn't cause damage.

If the AP2s arn't supposed to burn oil, then obviously you didn't have enough in to start, have a leak, or you ARE burning oil.

As mentioned above, check your oil at very fillup to prevent possible problems.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:41 AM
apt
Spammer

Originally Posted by StEVEN_s2k,Feb 15 2006, 11:03 PM
- I filled the oil past the full mark but i thought it would even out because of the filter also.
Ummm...sillly question...but did you check the oil level after you put the new oil filter and started-up the car?
Old 02-16-2006, 01:07 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

I have not burned one drop of oil in 6,000 HARD miles on my '05 including a brutal track weekend. I switched to synthetic (m1) at 3,000 miles.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by vtec9,Feb 16 2006, 02:20 PM
As long as it's within the XXs, you should be ok.. granted I wouldn't run around with oil near the bottom, but it shouldn't cause damage.

If the AP2s arn't supposed to burn oil, then obviously you didn't have enough in to start, have a leak, or you ARE burning oil.

As mentioned above, check your oil at very fillup to prevent possible problems.
There are AP2's that burn oil.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:18 PM

[QUOTE=QUIKAG,Feb 16 2006, 04:07 PM] I have not burned one drop of oil in 6,000 HARD miles on my '05 including a brutal track weekend.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by StEVEN_s2k,Feb 15 2006, 11:03 PM
I haven't checked my oil in a long time and decided to check on it today. I am shcoked to see that the oil went down to only 2 XX's on the dipstick. I dont know what could be the problem but here are some things I think may be the factor to this:

- I changed my oil at 3000 miles (about 4 months ago) when the owners manual says to change it at 3750 miles or so. (I now have 3965 miles on the car)
- I used Castrol (non-synthetic) 10W-30 oil
- I also changed teh oil filter with an OEM PCX filter
- I filled the oil past the full mark but i thought it would even out because of the filter also.

its not even 1000 miles and the oil is really low I am really scared I messed something up with the car. what can i do to fix it? The oil is still greenish/yellow am i just thinking crazy? AP2's seem to burn less oil also so i am very scared.

Any help is very appreciated. Thank you
You do not drive a lot, then time is the determine factor of oil change interval and 6 months is the right time to change your oil.

Use regular oil until 10k miles is the right thing to do too,

You filled the crankcase with new oil past the full mark, but how many quarts did you use ? Some use 5.5 quarts and others use only 5.1 quarts to get to full line.
Did you check the oil level after installed filter and started engine and let it ran for few minutes ?

As someone said, you should add 1/2 quarts to get the oil level to full mark and check oil level at every fill-up for the next several months, to monitor the oil consumption.

It may be that the oil was not as full as you think from beginning, so that your S did not consume significant amount of oil at all. I would not worry too much for now.

Quick Reply: Oil Problem