S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil pressure and VTEC oil switch

Old 02-06-2005, 03:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil pressure and VTEC oil switch

Spent time searching the forums but havent got a definative answer.

Had my clubman out for the first time last weekend. I only got 10 laps in before a nylon capillary line in the cooling system bleeder burst where it was touching the hot dry sump oil tank.

After a few laps on the track when I was in VTEC and the engine hesitated like a rev limiter. ( heart in mouth moment). I noticed that the oil pressure was just on 60psi when this happened. I think its due to the VTEC oil pressure sensor.

My F20C engine has been dry sumped and I'm adjusting the oil pressure regulator and selecting the correct spring for the regulator. What is the normal hot oil pressure for these engines in the low, mid and VTEC rpm. What are the typical cold oil pressures during the first 10 minutes of driving at different RPM's.

Also, can anyone remember what the minimum oil pressure switch for the VTEC system is set at?

Chris.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:51 PM

I've already wacked the map sensor. Think this is due to the oil pressure being borderline for VTEC.

Chris
Old 02-06-2005, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't help ya with the tech oil pressure question but wacking the map is no longer the fix. Read this thread --> Map Sensor Whack, you can stop whacking it now
Old 02-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Former Moderator

Received 326 Likes on 299 Posts

As far as I know, 58psi is the low limit for VTEC to operate. Normal oil pressure is usually a bit higher when measured at the VTEC pressure switch.

The VTEC honda's that I've checked had all been in the 70-80psi range in VTEC.

My Autometer gauge shows 25psi at idle when warm, and 75-90 psi at any rpm over 4K.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove the VTEC Solenoid (actual name of the switch), take it apart and clean it. There is a screen filter that sometimes gets clogged up preventing VTEC giving a premature rev limiter...

Good luck
Old 02-07-2005, 04:12 PM
Former Moderator

Clogged VTEC solenoid inlet screens are don't happen on well maintained engines. Oil that hasn't been changed regularly and forms sludge will block the screen.

From what I recall, Chris's motor is pretty low milage, and does not have a stock oiling system. (It's dry sumped) Not to mention it isn't in a S2k anymore.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:17 PM

Thanks guys for the information and suggestions. The engine is really clean and the screen is clear. I think the pressure was too close to the VTEC min pressure requirement. I'll adjust the pressure to 85psi hot at high rpm.

Chris.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my blitz digital oil pressure gauge (reads in hkpa but 1hkpa=14.7psi)
when the car is cold (not even 3bars on the coolant)the oil pressure can hit 7.3hkpa
normal idling when the car is warm ie oil temp >90c is about 2.3-2.5hkpa

when revving to 9k with oil temp >90c the oil p reads somewhere between
6.0-6.5hkpa

normal cruising at 100kph with oil temp 100c in 6th gear,oil p is 6.0hkpa

hope that helps
Old 05-22-2005, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Helpful thread ... I'm glad search actually found it for me this morning.

I'm experiencing some unusual oil pressure with my recently built motor. Here's a description:
- Oil pressure is fine just after starting the car at about 87 PSI before the car warms up
- Once the car warms up to about 50 to 80 Celsius, oil pressure at idle dips to 8 to as low 3 PSI
- Oil pressure at 4K to 6K RPM is only about 30 to 45 PSI

Oil pressure was fine when I first picked up the car after the motor build a few weeks ago. Haven't really had a chance to drive the car much as I've been out of town the last couple of weeks. I took it out for a drive this morning and noticed the whack-o oil pressure once the car warmed up.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 05-22-2005, 11:21 AM
Former Moderator

The engine has been rebuilt? or is it a new/used shortblock? there are several possibilities to low oil pressure.

Restricted filter
Too great of bearing clearances
internal oil leak from the pump to the main oil gallery
worn/improperly assembled oil pump

The filter change is the easiest, the rest will require extensive work to find and repair.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure and VTEC oil switch