S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil pressure switch leaking. No vtec

Old 03-04-2013, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure switch leaking. No vtec

Hey guys I've done so much research but always come to dead ends. I replaced my oil pressure switch 3 times. Every time I put a new op switch in vtec works fine then it stops. There is oil in the plug everytime I take it off. Is there any solution to this so I can have my vtec fixed. Is there any way I can bypass the oil pressure switch with a stock ecu? Please help I'm fed up already!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:35 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Since you have researched it already you probably know that the op switch can't affect vtec engagement, all it does is measure pressure and sends a signal to an idiot light on the dashboard. Vtec engagement is affected by oil pressure but not the op switch/sensor. Your problems lie elsewhere. I'd start with an oil pressure check/measurement to make sure your engine is making proper oil pressure, if that turns out okay then I'd suspect the vtec solenoid. Not much help but that's what I'd do next.

My oem oil pressure switch is totally removed and I can engage vtec perfectly fine.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:02 AM

Well this problem came out of no where and my car started to make a card in spoke noise not to loud though. I'm suspecting to replace the TCT as well. Do you think the TCT plays a part in this

Edit: Also isn't there two ops. One that sends it to the light on the cluster. And also one for vtec engagement?
Old 03-04-2013, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bryce1115
Well this problem came out of no where and my car started to make a card in spoke noise not to loud though. I'm suspecting to replace the TCT as well. Do you think the TCT plays a part in this

Edit: Also isn't there two ops. One that sends it to the light on the cluster. And also one for vtec engagement?
Card in the spokes noise is the TCT, but I wonder if low oil pressure is causing the TCT to lose tension on the timing chain, hence the rattle noise. I'd still do an oil pressure test for peace of mind.

There is only one oil pressure sensor and it only lights up the dash light.

There is a vtec solenoid switch (grey connector where the wire attaches) as part of the vtec solenoid assembly that uses oil pressure to initiate the vtec process. If the switch does not see the proper oil pressure it could disrupt vtec engagement. The switch could be faulty too. But the two circumstances of TCT noise and inconsistent vtec engagement would lead me to test the oil pressure for safety's sake. Otherwise it would be a coincidence that you have the TCT and vtec solenoid switch going bad at the same time ? . You might want to remove the vtec solenoid assembly and see if the screen is clogged with any particulate which can disrupt operation of the vtec solenoid switch.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:16 PM

Vtec oil pressure switch I what they call it at Honda. It's right beneath the vtec solenoid.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:42 PM

Vtec oil pressure switch I what they call it at Honda. It's right beneath the vtec solenoid.
^ Yes that is it.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:53 PM

Any idea of what the problem is ?

Edit: or why I keep losing vtec and it keeps leaking
Old 03-04-2013, 01:56 PM

Any idea of what the problem is ?

Edit: or why I keep losing vtec and it keeps leaking
What is leaking exactly ?, I couldn't make out where you were getting oil leakage ?.

My gut feeling is that you are having low oil pressure problems, causing VTEC to cut out and possibly causing TCT noise. That's why I recommend getting an oil pressure test done.

The oem oil pressure dashboard light only illuninates when your engine is toast, it doesn't tell you if you have low oil pressure over the long term, hence my recommendation for an oil pressure test for peace of mind. If you don't have low oil pressure issues then you likely have a bad VTEC switch/solenoid assembly and a TCT going at the same time, seems like too much of a coincidence to me though.

Also, inspect the screen on the back of the vtec solenoid assembly in case it is clogged, easy to do and something you should do before moving onto other tests.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:32 PM

Everytime I put a new vtec solenoid switch in vtec worked for a couple mins. Then it stopped. I got a new switch and it worked again. But I keep going trough them I wanna know why. Everytime I unplug the plug that goes to the switch there is oil in it.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:33 PM

Everytime I put a new vtec solenoid switch in vtec worked for a couple mins. Then it stopped. I got a new switch and it worked again. But I keep going trough them I wanna know why. Everytime I unplug the plug that goes to the switch there is oil in it.
I have this issue also. And that includes the leak that you can't find.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure switch leaking. No vtec