S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil pressure light comes on intermittently

Old 12-22-2005, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure light comes on intermittently

I have a '02 with 90k miles. Twice over the last week, my oil pressure warning light has come on briefly (about 1-2 seconds at a time) in the first 5 minutes of driving. I haven't seen it happen except in the first few minutes of driving. I checked my oil level, and it was okay.

Has anyone enountered this or can shed light on what could be happening? Thanks for any insights. I can provide more detail if necessary, but don't want to clutter this post up with unnecessary information.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:50 PM

I had this problem intermittently for a while and the engine eventually started knocking which after pulling the oil pan i found a rod knock and plenty of shavings from the connecting rod bearings. My problem was probably worst case scenario but just giving some insight.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

oil pressure is highest in the first few minutes of driving before it gets hot and loses viscosity. just a thought.

start by checking the pressure sender. I've only had my S two weeks so I can't be too much help, but I bet its somewhere on the head.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:54 PM

Is there a direct pressure gauge you can screw into the port that the sending unit is in? If your oil level is Ok, I'd suspect the sending unit next on a car with 90k miles on it. The idea of putting a pressure gauge on it is to confirm what you've actually got in the way of oil pressure. Although I'd consider it unlikely, it is possible you've got a pump problem or possibly some kind of restriction in the oil passages.

I'd definitely try to get this one figured out before any serious damage is done to the engine.

Good luck,
Steve R.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Good suggestion. Definitely hook up a mechanical pressure guage, if the stock sender is a screw in unit (I have no idea). There's a recent thread on here about appropriate pressures that you can check out to get an idea where your car should be.

I would not suspect the oil pump, as the light comes on when the oil is cold. Even a failing pump should provide adequate pressure after startup, and not show its age until the oil loses viscosity at higher temps. Blockage in an oil passage seems more likely, as the converse is true in this situation. Thicker oil will have a more difficult time passing through a semi blocked passage than thinner, warmer oil.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm mechanically challenged but will get a friend to help me check this stuff out. I'll print out a copy of this thread for him.

Time for a dumb question: Is the pressure sending unit basically just the sensor? In other words, if only the sending unit is bad, then the rest of the engine should be okay -- is this correct?

I also recall hearing something about a clogged VTEC solenoid being associated with these symptoms. Does that sound plausible as well?

I'm not making any assumptions yet but am hoping it's nothing serious. Your suggestions will hopefully help reduce the diagnosis time needed down the line. Thanks again.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:07 PM

[QUOTE=cyber_x Posted on Dec 24 2005, 01:43 PM]Time for a dumb question: Is the pressure sending unit basically just the sensor?
Old 12-24-2005, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by stefluva,Dec 22 2005, 07:50 PM
I had this problem intermittently for a while and the engine eventually started knocking which after pulling the oil pan i found a rod knock and plenty of shavings from the connecting rod bearings. My problem was probably worst case scenario but just giving some insight.
WTF thats crazy man!
Old 12-27-2005, 06:20 AM

So here's the update, which can be succintly summed up as...

"Dumb Threads on the Internet: Sometimes You Read Them, Sometimes You Star in Them."

I'm starring in this one. I'm hoping my engine isn't co-starring, but we'll see.

It turns out that the problem was indeed low engine oil. I dropped the car off to be checked out, and the tech called me back to tell me that he test drove the car and noticed the oil pressure indicator come on during sharp cornering and hard braking. He then said that I was down 2.5 quarts of oil.

He filled the engine back up with oil and said it should be okay. I've driven the car about 40 miles since all this, and it appears to be normal so far (no noticeable unusual sounds or behavior). If there were oil starvation, how long would problems normally take to manifest? Would the symptoms even be noticeable to the untrained eye/ear?

I think the reason I thought the oil level was okay was because I checked the dipstick only 1 or 2 minutes after having driven the car. Perhaps the reading I got was from oil that had splashed up inside the engine. Does that sound plausible?

Summary: What do you guys think? Did I dodge a bullet or am I driving a time bomb?
Old 12-27-2005, 03:18 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

tick..... tick.... tick....

Running any engine no oil pressure will cause internal damage. How long it lasts after the fact all depends on how much damage was done. You'd have to disassemble the engine to determine what was damaged.

It doesn't take long to starve the rod and main bearings of oil.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure light comes on intermittently