S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Pressure Gauge

Old 07-17-2004, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Pressure Gauge

quik question - bought a set of gauges and an pod

the oil pressure gauge did not come with an adaptor - can i safly remove where the stock sending switch ties in and connect my oil pressure nipple to that point??

Gs2k made a valid poimt today and recommed that i buy an adaptor because the ecu would not see the oil pressue if i simply cut the wire off

Thanks guys
steve
Old 07-17-2004, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd suggest getting a greddy oil filter adapter. if memory serves, the deal that's there now just decides whether your dummy oil light is on. it doesn't feed to the ecu.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:47 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

The oil pressure switch in the block is 1/8BSP. (british straight pipe) Most oil pressure sending units for aftermarket gauges are 1/8NPT (national pipe thread) NPT threads are tapered, versus BSP threads which are not.

The oil pressure switch in the block is for the oil light in the instument cluster, it is not wired the car's computer.

The VTEC oil pressure switch is wired to the cars computer, it does not always recieve oil pressure. It would not be a suitable location for a gauge sender.

If you have an autometer gauge, the sender is NPT.

There are 2 ways to install the sender. Either a oil filter block adapter,(like the Greddy) or use a section of braided stainless hose and a T- fitting to supply oil to the sender remotely. If you mount the sender directly to the T-fitting, you have a very good chance of the T-fitting breaking. Due to the weight of the sender and the vibration from the running engine. Several people have done this and broke a fitting in the block, and had oil spraying under the hood. Not to healthy for the engine and quite the fire risk.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Jul 17 2004, 11:47 PM
The oil pressure switch in the block is 1/8BSP. (british straight pipe) Most oil pressure sending units for aftermarket gauges are 1/8NPT (national pipe thread) NPT threads are tapered, versus BSP threads which are not.

The oil pressure switch in the block is for the oil light in the instument cluster, it is not wired the car's computer.

The VTEC oil pressure switch is wired to the cars computer, it does not always recieve oil pressure. It would not be a suitable location for a gauge sender.

If you have an autometer gauge, the sender is NPT.

There are 2 ways to install the sender. Either a oil filter block adapter,9l(like the Greddy) or use a section of braided stainless hose and a T- fitting to supply oil to the sender remotely. If you mount the sender directly to the T-fitting, you have a very good chance of the T-fitting breaking. Due to the weight of the sender and the vibration from the running engine. Several people have done this and broke a fitting in the block, and had oil spraying under the hood. Not to healthy for the engine and quite the fire risk.
Thanks guys it was installed in an S where tit has a braided hose that goes to the sending unit - the previos owner just disconneted the the sending wire to the idiot light and screwed right into that point - G-s2k mount the sending unit so that it wont move

i think i'll give it a shot if i can find the proper T fitting since i don't think there will be added stress

awesome info - thanks again!!