S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil pressure drop when VTEC kicks in

Old 05-02-2015, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure drop when VTEC kicks in

GUys

I have been searching a lot over the web, but I only found one case that has the rocker arm bolts off the vtec valve train loosen...

The setup

AP1 22MIL ORiGINAL MILES
skunk 2 vtec solenoid housing
6266 turbo
oil feed from oem oil pressure gauge
Head was refreshed, springs, retainers from ferrea.
Full blown intake manifold

Aem series 2 tuned making 600whp on pump and direct port methanol

Mugen oil pan
Motul 300 v oil 20w 60

Driven for 5k miles without issues

Oil cooler from mishimoto

No vetec, and oil pressures are normal, 35 psi on idle with warm oil around 90deg celcius and 85 to 90 psis around 4000 rpms

Once vtec kicks in I can only read 65 psi, it was 85 psi from the beginning while on vtec on the dyne

This engines tends to loosen bolts around.. I am afraid I would have a valve train rocker arm cap loosen?

Any advance?? vtec kicks in smoothly and oil level is fine

is there any oil jet, pin or oring to be a problem on the apt

thanks

dj
Old 05-02-2015, 09:56 PM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

How long have you used that oil viscosity ? I would suspect the oil pump operation, the oiling requirement in vtec with this engine is huge. There is a pressure relief on the oiling system, perhaps your thick oil is causing the pressure relief to kick in and drop pressure, as the oil pump can't pump that thick oil quick enough. Try a similar run with a thinner oil and see if the numbers change. We don't see too many people using oil that thick so it is hard to estimate how it may affect this engine.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:27 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Check can cap bolts and can tower dowel pins. Also check the front pass side head bolt and timing chain idler bolt. Oil for VTEC and the rest of the head is sealed in by those bolts.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:57 AM

thank you guys!

I will change the fluid and see all the related bolts, but my guess is that the system can not keep up with the long mishimoto oil cooler lines... my best bet would be bypassing the oil cooler but then again check the engine`s oil and water temp..

I did remvoe the oem water oil exchanger, removed and capped the water lines using oem honda hardware.. on a very hot day with the larger FMIC and a/c I can see the water temps would climb to 97 C deg so I turn the a/c off and they goes back to low 90s range..

Something that is curious is when I have the heater ON I would never see the water temp going above 92 on hot days at high boost, the heater water circuit must be helping with head water circulation I might have hurt while removing the stock water and oil heat exchanger water lines, or maybe it is just the s2k engine´s nature when the heater is ON... on our evos subarus and supra the heater On wont do as much effect lowering the water temps as in the S...

I have one spal ultra high performance fan with fan relay and a capacitor in the power line and a kemford UK fan.. so... I have to do one stuff at the time... and forget now about water temps and focus on oil pressure... I really dont want to have a f20c running less than 78 80 psi of oil pressure at 9500 rpms...

thanks for the comments
Old 05-03-2015, 11:00 AM
Banned

The factory oiling system can handle the oil cooler and lines no problem. If you have an oil pressure drop only in VTEC then something in the head is leaking internally.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:24 AM

I will check all, and do an oil change...
Old 05-03-2015, 11:27 AM

Btw is there any oil pressure mod to rais a bit the oil pressure that is common on some other engines? you know adding a shim to the spring at the bypass valve?.. or this is not common in the f20c?
Old 05-03-2015, 11:34 AM
Banned

Mods aren't needed. The s2000 has the best oil pump honda ever used
Old 05-03-2015, 12:49 PM

great to know then! do you know the differences from ap1 to ap2 oil pumps?
Old 05-24-2015, 10:47 AM

did the oil and filter change, retorque head bolts, teared apart all vtec system inspeccted dowel pin, everything was just fine, oil pressure keeps going low after sustained vtec engagement, I am suspecting oil pump pick up to be lossen due to vibrations, no signs of bearing failure in the filter element

the pressure should be at 80 psi at 8500 rpms, it drops to 70, 68 psis only on 4th gears and sometimes on 3th gear.. oil pan is the mugen with the baffle

In order to change the oil pump in the f20c, can it be done with the oil pan removed? or the front timing chain cover needs to be removed as well??

thanks

Quick Reply: Oil pressure drop when VTEC kicks in