S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Plug Came Off!!!

Old 05-13-2004, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Dolemike
Alcr8, yea, heres the stinky part about it... when i bought the new plug, i forgot the washer. So as of right now, i have the plug in with no washer, I was planning on using the old one one more time but as we all know, its sitting somewhere on the highway. I could have waited till this morning to go to the store to get a washer, but i HAD to know last night what things were going to look like. There was no way I could sleep on that. So generally speaking (and I really feel like a loon for putting the plug on there with no washer) would it hold ok for a week or so? And how do you wire it? I really want to know that because I dont want to go thru this ever again!! I remember meeting you btw, I cant picture the face tho, so many people down there that were cool that I met
Sorry Mike, got busy yesterday and didn't get to reply.

Yeah It will probably hold . .. but I would be very careful, watch the oil light constantly and not VTEC at all.

Here is the thing about using an old washer. Let me say that I know XVIPER and RoadRage will flame me for this (which hurts since RoadRage is THE man) but, if you can't change the washer, what you can do with the old washer (yes, I know you have no washer right now) is seperate the washer from the face of the bolt. Wrap a modestl amount of teflon tape around that area and push the washer back against the seating surface on the bolt. Just ensure you have little to no teflon on the threads. This teflon tape, which is normally used to seal a threaded contact patch, will help act as a lock washer to allow a little more crush on the bolt and washer which in turn will help maintain a constant tesion on the bolt. That is the reason the washer should be changed each time. The washer itself acts as a crush gasket to help seal. As we all know, you can normally only use a crush gasket once.

And, I know what you mean about not being able to sleep on the thought you may have trashed an engine. I would have done the same thing.

Did you understand the explanation about how to lock wire the drain plug. If not, search a little. BTW, it is nice to have lock wire pliers and ensure you get a consistent turns per inch . .. but not necessary. As long as there are even turns and good tension .. .. . you'll be OK.

BTW, Mike, you were the guy in the UNC hat right??
Old 05-13-2004, 06:33 AM

I think what I am gonna do is just buy that Fram Sure-Drain plug on the next go around so I wont have to worry about buying new bolts or washers anymore. Plus, after buying 2-3 plugs youve already bought the Fram by then anyways. But in the meantime, I snagged a sheet of cardboard to put under the car after driving it so that way Ill know for sure If im starting to leak oil and if so how bad. Ive VTec'd a couple times since then just to reassure me that everything is ok, but for the most part I dont give the car a spirited drive anyways. Yea, I think ive understood what you were saying about the safety-wiring and I think ill do that too. As far as cutting the oil filter open for inspection, Chris, that is a great idea! Time to call some friends with a shop a tell them im coming by for a visit. I also was planning on doing a valve-adjustment soon, Im sure after this event it would be a really good idea. Yea ACLR8, that was me with the UNC hat on.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:00 AM

UNC

Real men don't wear powder blue

GO PACK!!

But glad to hear your car is OK! The sure drain plug is nice also if you have an Xbrace .. . . . no dripping
Old 05-13-2004, 07:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by chris_barry
Taking off the valve cover wont show too much as the bearing journals are hidden. The cam lobes and rocker pads can run with residual oil for some time before damage and this car only went a short distance with the oil leak.

Cut open the filter and see if the engine is making metal. You dont even need to drain the oil. Just put an new filter on and top up the oil.

Speedracer.
true of course
if it was my car id take the cams off and check the bearing journals no matter how short of a distance I travelled.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:22 AM

HAHAHAHAA OH NO YOU DIDNT! UNC will own this year!
Old 05-13-2004, 03:41 PM

We'll see how good your football team is.

Glad you didn't get offended. It is good to be able to joke around with someone!!
Old 05-13-2004, 04:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"true of course
if it was my car id take the cams off and check the bearing journals no matter how short of a distance I travelled."

True as well, but taking the camshafts out is not something I would suggest to a person who doesnt appear to have a automotive mechanical background and had just experienced problems with an oil change.

( Not being critical of Dolemike at all. I encourage owners to take an hands on approach with their cars. The more they understand about their cars the better)

Check if the car is making metal by inspecting the filter, and if so start investigating where it came from.

Speedracer.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:37 PM

Well UNC football i dunno, thats anyones guess. Im more of a basketball fan for those guys. And chris, I can assure you I have done plenty more technical things with a car than an oil change, no offense taken. Just a bad set of circumstances and I can definately say that ive NEVER had an oil plug come off ANY car ive done oil changes on.