S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Plug Came Off!!!

Old 05-12-2004, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wire? how does that work? can you post pics or describe it to me?

very interested...
Old 05-12-2004, 09:20 AM

Ok so i am VERY VERY pleased to say that this morning I started the car, i didnt hear not one clank or clunk or anything abnormal from the car. VTEC runs normal with no noises, everything appears to be perfectly ok. Should I take the car to a tuner and have them look over the engine to double check for any damage?
Old 05-12-2004, 09:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by Dolemike
Should I take the car to a tuner and have them look over the engine to double check for any damage?
There's no point except to give you peace of mind. Oil starvation damage, when no audible signs are present, can only be determined by exposing the insides of the engine. I don't think you want to go that expense just to see.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:06 AM

Yea, that was what I was thinking. I noticed the trail all the way in the apartments and a decent sized oil spot under the car. So it wasnt completely out of oil when i had to cut it on to get some coasting speed. Only time may tell if something is not right in there i guess. But hey, its driving and driving good for now
Old 05-12-2004, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by heffergm
This is why I safety wire everything critical... oil drain bolt, oil filter and (depending on the setup for the particular car) the tranny drain/fill plugs.

My racing days taught me well...

Man I am with you!! I ate an engine on a GSX-R 750 the day after an oil change on the way to the track. Safety wire after that . .. . .. . and a huge lesson learned.

Mike, sorry to hear about your scare. We met at the Dragon . ... you may remember.

Anyway, sounds like everything is cool now. Let me say that if you don't use the safety wire method then:

1. follow the directions and use a new wahser each time you remove the drain plug

and

2. follow the directions and torque the drain plug to 33 ft-lbs

that should take care of any drain plug that wants to back out on it's own!!
Old 05-12-2004, 11:21 AM

Alcr8, yea, heres the stinky part about it... when i bought the new plug, i forgot the washer. So as of right now, i have the plug in with no washer, I was planning on using the old one one more time but as we all know, its sitting somewhere on the highway. I could have waited till this morning to go to the store to get a washer, but i HAD to know last night what things were going to look like. There was no way I could sleep on that. So generally speaking (and I really feel like a loon for putting the plug on there with no washer) would it hold ok for a week or so? And how do you wire it? I really want to know that because I dont want to go thru this ever again!! I remember meeting you btw, I cant picture the face tho, so many people down there that were cool that I met
Old 05-12-2004, 01:52 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SolReborn
wire?
Old 05-12-2004, 05:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you drain the oil, change the filter and cut it open to see if there is any metal inside it. If there is any metal inside it you have damaged your engine.

Take the filter to an engine builder/tuner. They should have a tool similar to a tube cutter that opens up a filter without filling it with cutting debris like a hacksaw would.

You can cut them yourself at the join between the base plate/body with a set of aviation sheet metal sheers. The techique is to cut the rolled corner off all the way around the filter. Make sure you wear gloves and be carefull as its very easy to slip on the oil and cut your hands on the sharp edges. It would be safests to ring around the local engine builders or speed shops and use a filter cutter.

Speedracer.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Dolemike
On my way home tonight I heard a pop noise as if something came off under the car, I was immediately concerned but not that far from my house, i start smelling oil burning and see smoke coming out the back. The oil light came on and then went back off... i keep the car going (not fast and at low rpms) and coast as much as I can b/c im well less than half a mile from my apartment. I ONLY CUT the car on to get it to coasting speed and immediately cut it off... i noticed the oil light stayed on during that time... and started hearing the clanking noise from the engine, it was starting to get really noticable, not REAL loud. There is a trail of oil all the way from the highway to my car, and about half a qt. sitting under the car. I already have all the necessities to add the oil, filter and the plug. What are my chances that I have done some serious damage? Im sure the only way to find out is to fill it up and cut it on. Is there anything i can do to prevent damage (if it would cause any) when i start it back up???
I would probably pull the valve cover off so you get a snapshot of the valve train...
Old 05-12-2004, 10:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Taking off the valve cover wont show too much as the bearing journals are hidden. The cam lobes and rocker pads can run with residual oil for some time before damage and this car only went a short distance with the oil leak.

Cut open the filter and see if the engine is making metal. You dont even need to drain the oil. Just put an new filter on and top up the oil.

Speedracer.

Quick Reply: Oil Plug Came Off!!!