S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

oil pan installation

Old 05-13-2007, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iam7head,May 11 2007, 10:26 PM
scrotchbite(sP) pad or similear rubbing/scrubbing pad are perfect for this job, it migh take longer but at least you don't have to fix a leak down the road.

and please, get a small torque wrench, the bolts are ultra light duty and loves to snap. you can get one for around 30-50 bucks, make sure it's the small/beam style wrench, not the big twistie bar type. or better yet a snap-on digital, that's what we use around the shop
i got scott brite pads, its just like the sponge / dishwsher kind right?

also i got a Torque wrench from a friend. its the long pole type.. is that ok? it can sitll do only 8 pounds of TQ it shows
Old 05-14-2007, 05:05 PM

fck how do u take off the pan.. every bolt is off... i tried using flat head.. but dont want to use too much force to break or crack something..

(i took off the 2 bolts for the Bracket already )
Old 05-14-2007, 05:38 PM

there are 2 little lips on each side, use a pry bar there
Old 05-14-2007, 05:39 PM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

Double check all the bolts are out, including the two big ones going through the tranny. There's one little one hidden behind the AC bracket.

Even with all the bolts out, the seal will be hard to break. The are places specfically designed to pry at, to give you leverage to break the seal.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:44 PM

Passenger side pry point:

Old 05-14-2007, 05:58 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250,May 12 2007, 05:37 PM
There are 4, sounds like you are talking about oil-jet bolts. They were changed in mid 2002.

Unless you are going FI, it's not a panic to change them.

If you do, a GOOD torque wrench is critical on these bolts.
I'm about to be doing an oil pan install (Mugen) meself, good timely thread for me!

Regarding the oil-jet bolts:
I just bought the car in Feb. and I plan to track it a few times a year (just did Watkins Glen a couple of weeks ago, Mosport next month).

I was figuring I should change the oil jet bolts. Yes? No? Maybe?
Old 05-14-2007, 07:12 PM

No need for new jet bolts on NA cars. FI definitely.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:21 PM

i forgot to remove a bolt.. thats why it ddnt come off

i applied honda bond HT to both sides (oil pan, and underside of block area) is this correct?

btw is Honda Bond HT and RTF same stuff?

also what if honda bond got into the engine part? i had to attempt to put on the oil pan many times cuz it didnt fit right.. i had to hammer it in to make it flush..

also is it normal to see lil tiny hair line cracks on oil pan? is it just the exterior?

this 1 hour planned job turned into a 5 hour job.. not having right tools, driving places to buy new tools, etc sucks..

also i torqued it to 8.7 but it feels so LIGHT, should i torque it some more?? or am i using the TQ wrench correectly? (once it clicks that means it has reached 8.7 toruqe right??)

sorry for so many questions .. i just want peae of mind.. ahah or so next time i do it i know the answers

thanks -jesse
Old 05-14-2007, 08:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J.nguyen,May 14 2007, 08:21 PM
i forgot to remove a bolt.. thats why it ddnt come off

i applied honda bond HT to both sides (oil pan, and underside of block area) is this correct?

btw is Honda Bond HT and RTF same stuff?

also what if honda bond got into the engine part? i had to attempt to put on the oil pan many times cuz it didnt fit right.. i had to hammer it in to make it flush..

also is it normal to see lil tiny hair line cracks on oil pan? is it just the exterior?

this 1 hour planned job turned into a 5 hour job.. not having right tools, driving places to buy new tools, etc sucks..

also i torqued it to 8.7 but it feels so LIGHT, should i torque it some more?? or am i using the TQ wrench correectly? (once it clicks that means it has reached 8.7 toruqe right??)

sorry for so many questions .. i just want peae of mind.. ahah or so next time i do it i know the answers

thanks -jesse
i use RTV, never have a problem.

banging the oil pan isn't the best method as you already know, appling more force always seems to be the way when you are tired and all. not sure what do you mean by cracking, there's some casting line on the pan, that's normal if you have cracks in the pan, i am sorry to say you have to get a new one.

8.7 ft/lb is nothing(well, just make sure it's not 8.7 inch lb), that's why we urged for a torque wrench. a uniformly fastened pan is all it needs.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by iam7head,May 14 2007, 08:44 PM
i use RTV, never have a problem.

banging the oil pan isn't the best method as you already know, appling more force always seems to be the way when you are tired and all. not sure what do you mean by cracking, there's some casting line on the pan, that's normal if you have cracks in the pan, i am sorry to say you have to get a new one.

8.7 ft/lb is nothing(well, just make sure it's not 8.7 inch lb), that's why we urged for a torque wrench. a uniformly fastened pan is all it needs.

Hmm well when i went to Acura b/c honda had no more honda bond.. i told them.. Can i get HONDA BOND RTV ? and they hand me HONDA BOND HT ( high temp )

iono if it sthe same.. i hope so..

cracks.. i dunt noe, ill take pics and post.. it looks like cracks or casting lines.. dunt noe.. but i cleaned the inside of the pan and it di have a small little hairline crack but i thought it was nothing to wory about??

im pretty sure i had 8.7 ft/lb, but ill double check once i get home..

also where is a jack point for the front? im just runnin 2 stock jacks on the side.. im thinking of borrow a pump jack for more working room.. i feel so squished and hitting elbows and head everywhere..

also i found out my old pan was using an oversized bolt already.. and it was longer then the OEM one..

Quick Reply: oil pan installation