S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Overfill

Old 12-20-2011, 07:13 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by INDYMAC
The engine oil filter is easy to remove, empty, and then replace from above. Do this a time or two and you will be good to go if it's not a major oil overfill.
good idea...it dumps a fair amount out.

Just make it tight when replacing. for OEM PCX filters, a wrench is a must.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:00 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ikeyballz
I don't trust the engineers factor of safety. Its not very hard to loosen the oil drain bolt (not remove) and let a little bit leak out. I'd definitely do that instead of "wait it out" especially if they did actually put in 6 qts and didnt do a proper drain. If I'm a bit lazy on my oil draining (not waiting long enough, not dropping the front end) 5qts puts me really close to the H. You need to remember that as the oil heats up, it'll also expand! I always keep my car (at max) one X below H and at the lowest, one X below the middle.. (measured cold)
While I'm not a mechanic, I do know a decent amount of physics, and my impression is the oil, like water, does not expand when heated.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BBV S2K
I always put 6 on my car... Overfilling by 1/2 or 1 quart wont harm your engine....
Been in the car advising business long? How's that working out for ya?

How do you get a reputation of -1?
Old 12-20-2011, 08:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
Originally Posted by ikeyballz' timestamp='1324299775' post='21247539
I don't trust the engineers factor of safety. Its not very hard to loosen the oil drain bolt (not remove) and let a little bit leak out. I'd definitely do that instead of "wait it out" especially if they did actually put in 6 qts and didnt do a proper drain. If I'm a bit lazy on my oil draining (not waiting long enough, not dropping the front end) 5qts puts me really close to the H. You need to remember that as the oil heats up, it'll also expand! I always keep my car (at max) one X below H and at the lowest, one X below the middle.. (measured cold)
While I'm not a mechanic, I do know a decent amount of physics, and my impression is the oil, like water, does not expand when heated.
Oil does in fact expand when heated, (it becomes thinner and thus less dense)
Old 12-20-2011, 06:51 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by T-S.M.A.C
Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1324400407' post='21251087
Oil does in fact expand when heated, (it becomes thinner and thus less dense)
+1

Note the oil level on the dipstick first thing in the morning, cold engine. Go warm it up, go for a hard drive, come back, hot engine. Oil level should "rise."

At least that's what my car does.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
Originally Posted by ikeyballz' timestamp='1324299775' post='21247539

Oil and water DOES indeed expand; what it doesn't do is compress under pressure.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:36 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

[quote name='ikeyballz' timestamp='1324299775' post='21247539']

Oil and water DOES indeed expand; what it doesn't do is compress under pressure.
[/quote]
Winner winner chicken dinner
Old 12-22-2011, 01:20 AM

[quote name='ikeyballz' timestamp='1324299775' post='21247539']

[/quote]
Old 12-22-2011, 01:23 AM

OK...while I wasn't' sure about oil, I know for sure, that water does NOT expand when heated. Water has three distinct phases. Solid, liquid and vapor. Ice (solid water) does expand by 9% vs it's liquid phase. In fact, it is the only substance which expands in it's solid vs liquid phases. Steam is waters vapor phase.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Water does expand and contract (density). A good example of this is your coolant reservoir. Check the level when it's hot, and then check it when it's cold. The level will be much higher when it's hot (expanding). ATF level checks are the same. The cold markings are lower on the dipstick than the hot markings to compensate for heat expansion.

Quick Reply: Oil Overfill